Oh Crap!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I made a batch of wimpy beer to propagate enough yeast to make my massive barleywine 3 weeks ago. I havn't had time to make my barleywine because of my schedule so I just left the beer on the yeastcake. Today I got my stuff out to make my barleywine and discovered there's some white stuff growing on top of my beer... It appears to be mold, i think. It's white and looks powdery... :( should I throw out my batch of yeast? I'm thinking that I will... That beer's going in a keg this afternoon reguardless... think the beer in the primary is still good with that crap growing on top? someone please, HELP!!!

Yeast floaties, nothing more than that I'd bet. The final test is taste. If the current ale tastes OK, the yeast is still fine.

Thank you David_42. We'll see how it tastes. There are the yeast colored yeast floaties here and there, but this other stuff is quite a bit lighter in color and covering patches of the surface. Gonna go pull a sample and find out. Wish me luck! :) :mug:

ok, the ale tastes great... but there is either a slight off flavor or my imagination. I think I'll just make another small batch of beer for the yeast cake. Bought an extra 7lbs tub and another package of rogue pacman yeast for backup. Time to use it! btw, my Peg Leg Pale Ale , the yeast propagation batch, ROCKS!!! Diddn't dry hop. Next time think I'll try and up the unfermentables a bit to give it a bit more sweetness. A wonderful 5.1% beer!!

Like you need an excuse to make more beer? You're probably right to be extra careful. I know I'd hate to wait two years only to find I've got 5 gallons of malt vinegar.

Back