OG way too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cappy

Reaction score
I just brewed up a Brewers Best American Pale Ale kit and my OG ended up at 1.024 instead of 1.051. I'm not sure what went wrong. It was a pretty basic kit. 1lb Caramel 20L to steep and 6.6lb Light LME, half of the LME as a late addition. It was the first time using a turkey fryer for a burner, but I'm not sure how that would have affected it. I did a 3 gallon boil topped up to 5 gal in the fermenter. I've never missed my numbers this much. I wonder if the marks on my bucket are way off? I guess I'll start there.

I would guarantee that the wort was not well mixed, and your sample came from the area that was mostly top off water. Stir the crap out of it and try again. Kits are never that far off.

Good to know. I'll check it now before the yeast kicks in. I shook the hell out of it after pitching.

1.026. Damn. I guess I'll just let it run it's course. I'm guessing it will just be low alcohol and kinda of watered down?

Do you have a crummy hydrometer? Drop it in some tap water and make sure it's still reading correct.

Hadn't thought of that. I test it tonight. I took a reading over the weekend and it was at 1.016 which is where it should finish out. It tasted pretty good but that gives it a whopping 1.3% ABV! I guess it will just be a good session beer.

With that much extract there is no way to get the number you are talking about unless the wort and the top off water was not mixed. The number you are getting now is probably correct.

I would say just relax and you will have some good beer.

I did that kit for my very first brew and it turned out very nice. I did notice that it took a full three weeks in the bottles to taste good, and tasted better at 5 weeks.

I'll bottle this week and call it good. The sample I had was pretty tasty so I'm sure it will be fine. Next batch will be my first full boil so I shouldn't have the same problem again.

Back