og too low for IPA. Can I fix it? Just made it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
I made a 6gallon IPA from Cooper using:
3.75lbs of Cooper IPA HME
3.3 lbs of Cooper Light LME
2x mr.b booster
2 oz 10min boil cascade pellets alpha 6.4%

My OG is 1.050. I would've liked around 1.060.

I forgot to punch in my numbers to the calculator first and just took the 'kit' my store set me up with. My fault. I should know better.

I just finished adding and stirring the yeast about 10 minutes ago (3-15-12@1:25pm).

Q:Can I add and stir anything now (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar) to increase the OG? I think I'm still o.k. on the adjunct ratio.

Q:Or is it too late since I added the WYeast?

Q:If I do nothing, will this just end up a flavorless light beer if my final is around 1.010?

A 1.050 OG is good. And since the cooper's cans are intended to make 6G,or 23L,you're fine there. But regardless,all liquid malt extracts are reffered to as LME,pre-hopped or not. Less confusion that way,we just call it hopped LME or Pre-hopped. DME's can be pre-hopped as well. I wouldn't add sugar,it'd raise the ABV,but dry out the beer,making it seem thinner. Not to mention,unbalanced. I'd let it go,see how it tastes,looks,smells when ready. Then make adjustments instead of flying blind. There's a lot more to life that high ABV.

A 1.050 OG is good. And since the cooper's cans are intended to make 6G,or 23L,you're fine there. But regardless,all liquid malt extracts are reffered to as LME,pre-hopped or not. Less confusion that way,we just call it hopped LME or Pre-hopped. DME's can be pre-hopped as well. I wouldn't add sugar,it'd raise the ABV,but dry out the beer,making it seem thinner. Not to mention,unbalanced. I'd let it go,see how it tastes,looks,smells when ready. Then make adjustments instead of flying blind. There's a lot more to life that high ABV.

Good advice and info. I'll look a little smarter asking for the right ingredients. I'm sure the guys at the store roll their eyes when I ask for stuff by the wrong name.

I don't necessarily need the higher abv, but wanted a full bodied beer and thought I needed a higher og to get that.
Thanks.

Is this a full boil or did you top off in the fermentor....if you topped off you are probably just not mixed well enough for a good OG reading.

I only used half the lme and 8cups of water to do the 10 min hop boil. Then I topped off in the fermenter and stirred the heck out of it with a paint stirrer and power drill. I was thinking the same thing, so I mixed again like crazy and got the same og.

The one can of plain LME in 3 gallons of water would've given better utilization. 8C of water is a little low & heavy.

I'm drinking my own recipe American Pale Ale right now and it finished at 1.010 and is no way a flavorless light beer, plenty of hops and a good full mouthfeel with balanced sweetness.

Ok, I just noticed 7 Lbs of extract in 6 gallons, that would not get you to 1.060
What is Mr. B "booster"?

One additional pound of DME will increase your gravity by 6 points to about 1.056....so to get to 1.060 you would want 1.75 to 2 pounds more of DME. Problem there is you would increase your volume at the same time.

I would just make a note of it and adjust the recipe for next time.

unionrdr said:
He's refering to Mr beer booster,a yeast booster it sounds like.

The "booster" isn't a yeast booster, but an alcohol booster - aka corn sugar you add to the boil at the end when you make the kit. I just recently converted a friend from mr beer by doing a double session with his kit first, then my homebrew setup. First and last time I'll use that plastic, leaky keg of a fermenter.

Ok, I just noticed 7 Lbs of extract in 6 gallons, that would not get you to 1.060
What is Mr. B "booster"?

One additional pound of DME will increase your gravity by 6 points to about 1.056....so to get to 1.060 you would want 1.75 to 2 pounds more of DME. Problem there is you would increase your volume at the same time.

I would just make a note of it and adjust the recipe for next time.

I'm going to do that. I'm kinda sick of making such heavy beers anyway. I'd like this one to be very drinkable and hope the hop boil and dry hopping later will make it a nice brew.

Thanks for all the replies Folks!

Latest posts

Back