OG reading/fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Still new at this .... I started a 5 gal. batch of beer yesterday. 6 lbs. of Rice Syrup, 3 lbs. of White Sorghum syrup, and 1.5 lbs. of Honey along with Hops, Maltodextrin, yeast nutrient, yeast and various spices for this holiday beer. My OG was 1.081 adjusted for temperature. Does the OG sound in line with these ingredients ? Plan on leaving it alone for at least two weeks before taking a FG reading, and then a second FG to insure fermentation is done. All of this sound reasonable ? Thanks very much - Steve

The OG is really high. It will probably finish with very high alcohol content. I recommend staying around 1.060. It will probably be fine though.
What yeast did you use? A yeast that is not particularly alcohol tolerant may not finish low, which could end up being good depending on what you are after.
Are you force carbonating or bottle carbonating?

The OG is really high. It will probably finish with very high alcohol content. I recommend staying around 1.060. It will probably be fine though.
What yeast did you use? A yeast that is not particularly alcohol tolerant may not finish low, which could end up being good depending on what you are after.
Are you force carbonating or bottle carbonating?
Hello, I used Nottingham ale yeast, one package. And I will be bottling the beer. Thanks for any advice.

I did not have good experience with Nottingham on sorghum based batches. Hopefully you will get good results on this batch. You may need to pitch more yeast if it does not take off. Post your progress.

Hello,

I did use a yeast nutrient along with the yeast. The fermentation is going very well, at this point. 48 hours since yeast was pitched and I have bubbling in airlock every one to two seconds, thick Kraussen, and good movement in the wort. Plan on leaving it alone for at least two weeks and then two FG readings 2 days apart to confirm fermentation is over. Temperature at Carboy is app 68- 70 degrees. I have been told that the higher the FG the longer it takes to bottle condtion/carbonate. That it may take longer than the standard two weeks. Was planning on using 5 oz.'s of corn sugar to carbonate ... this is what I have done in the past. This is my 4th batch so I am still new at this. Was told that sometimes it helps to add 1/3 to 1/2 a packet of yeast at bottling to ensure a good carbonation, especially with high ABV brews. Any thoughts ? Thanks for any advice .... if this holiday, gluten free beer turns out well I will post the recipe.

Good that you are getting strong activity. The problems I had with Nottingham were that on some batches it was slow to start or just wouldn't finish. Stayed wicked cloudy for a long time. Yours started strong and hopefully you won't have a slow finish. I would carbonate on the high side of the range. You don't want bottle bombs, but GF malts, and especially rice and sorghum syrup do not have very good head retention, so a good carbonation is more satisfying. Adding a little yeast to help insure that the bottling sugar is consumed sounds like a good idea to me but honestly I have never brewed anything that high and I have forced carbonated for a long time. You have some time to research what you want to do with this one.

Hello,

Is there an issue with posting same content in two different forums ? Keep seeing reference to Duplicate thread ... posted twice because sometimes have difficulty if I only post in Gluten free section. Thanks

Back