OG Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aanstadt

Reaction score
Just brewed my second batch. Both batches my original gravity have been significantly lower than they should be. Both batches are a extract kit. First was a American Pale Ale liquid malt extract kit. The one I brewed today is an imperial nut brown ale dry & liquid malt extract kit. I can't figure out why I can't get the original gravity correct. I've followed the directions to the T and have read a few different books to help guide me. My American Pale Ale was supposed to have an original gravity of 1.055 and ended up at 1.036 & this Nut Brown Ale was supposed to have an original gravity 1.075 and ended up at 1.034. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is your not getting your top up water mixed fully, common problem with partial boil.

Mumbly said:
My guess is your not getting your top up water mixed fully, common problem with partial boil.

Yep. If this isn't it, your hydrometer is **** ;)

That's exactly what it was. I sanitized my boil spoon stirred up the work in the fermenter and took another sample and my reading was at 1.074. Exactly where it should be. Fermentation is going strong. Thank you!

It's near impossible to miss your og with extract , unless you forget a good chunk of extract. Glad you got it figured out

Back