OG increases after a day or two? Tilt monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epiekarc

Reaction score
I bought a few Tilt monitors. Wondering if anyone else has seen a similar trend, with OG going up then down?

My main question, What is my OG, 1.086 or 1.091?

So you are aware, I struggled with my chiller, I had to factory reset it, to get it to behave, that's why you see temp crash twice... So then I pushed temp up, to kick off the yeast. I have this in Brewfather here: Brewfather

Here's a picture of the gravity (red line)... By the way, I have 2 Tilt devices in the beer, and they are both reading nearly identical, so I don't think this is a mistake...

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.39.06 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.39.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.39.06 AM.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
The tilt is not 100% trustworthy for actual measurements, use a proper hydrometer for that. What it is good for is seeing the trendline (e.g. has the graph leveled off showing that fermentation has completed) and knowing approximately where you are at.

The Tilt is, from an accuracy standpoint, just a cute toy. At the beginning of fermentation CO2 bubbles can stick to the Tilt and cause it to read a higher OG.

I've noticed the same thing. I attributed it to the krausen pushing the tilt around but the above theory about CO2 bubbles sticking to the tilt itself seems more likely.

Back