office chair is stuck in the full lean back position.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
think this is just a cheap ikea type office chair. was going to use it down in brew area so i dont have to stand around but now realizing its stuck, and having it stuck in the full lean-back position is not cool. i know the metal arm will adjust the height up and down, and the lean control is supposed to be adjusted by screwing the plastic knob in and out. but no matter how much i screw it in or out the damn thing is stuck in full lean back. normally i'd start with some hammer whacks or other brute force attempts, but i just got off shoulder surgery so not an option at the moment.

anybody familiar with these and how to fix the "stuck" lean feature?

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

I notice a screw missing from the base...is it possible that someone had it apart and mounted the seat on backwards?
What does it say over the arrow? (can't make it out in the pic)

I've sat in my fair share of office chairs... I'm somewhat of a sitting expert. Try pushing down on the lever that you normally pull up on to adjust the height.

That screw is normally to adjust how hard it pushes back when you lean back. Try pulling the lever out away from the chair.

How does one adjust the elevation of that chair? I have a feeling it's via that lever actuating a valve on a hydraulic tube.
Also, if you zoom into the second pic that adjustment knob looks akimbo. I'd dig into that as it may be what's causing the tilt...

Cheers!

yes, there is a screw/bolt missing. no it wasnt put on backwards.

didnt notice the writing on the arm paddle since its under the seat, but lo and behold, it says there is a tilt lock, and to release you pull the arm out.
IMG_1073.jpg

tried and tried but that bastard isnt coming out at all. bit hard to see but there doesnt look like theres any sort of tab the needs to be keyed to a slot to let it come out. no locking mechanism i can see. it just wont budge. i'll play with it a bit more now that i can see how it functions, see if my neighbor can try pulling it out at all. but at the moment i cant see anything that would be holding it or causing it to be locked up.

it just wont budge.

yes, there is a screw/bolt missing. no it wasnt put on backwards.

didnt notice the writing on the arm paddle since its under the seat, but lo and behold, it says there is a tilt lock, and to release you pull the arm out.
View attachment 806786

tried and tried but that bastard isnt coming out at all. bit hard to see but there doesnt look like theres any sort of tab the needs to be keyed to a slot to let it come out. no locking mechanism i can see. it just wont budge. i'll play with it a bit more now that i can see how it functions, see if my neighbor can try pulling it out at all. but at the moment i cant see anything that would be holding it or causing it to be locked up.

it just wont budge.
I have an identical chair. You're on the right track with the 'Tilt lever'.. if it won't pull out, try pushing it in to se it that works to release the Tilt lock.

Mine's had some frequent adjusting
(In, out, back, fwd). SWMBO'd and I have vastly different comfort points. Our chair has also been around for a while, so the mechanism has had a workout, as in "rode hard, put away wet." In other words, it needs replacing.

Still, if you jiggle the thingamajingey just right you'll probably get the Tilt mechanism to release.

Back