off smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I know its alright as of right now but what does a high grav cider smell like when its fermenting? This was my first batch and I added way too much sugar which I've fixed by following recipes but right now after a week it smells like slightly off slightly sweet Camo Black Ice, kind of disturbing really.

Normally it will get better with time...but what's your recipe, what are your gravity readings, temp, etc? Can you be more specific on the smell? I've never had Camo Black Ice.

I never heard of camo black ice. Now if you can get your hands on a gas mask canister it will contain the off smells keep it on there for about five days I'd say and then you can take it off. I had the same issue and the batch almost got tossed because of the wife but I threw an old mask filter on the vapor lock and all was good.

I had the same problem with a Carmel Apple Mead, I masked it using activated charcoal till I could get some nutrients. With in 4 hours of adding nutrients (Fermax in my case) the smell was gone. It was a really rapid ferment. I started with an OG of 1.152 and it is down to 1.020 in a week and a half.

The recipe was a failure (1.5lbs turbinado to 1 gallon fresh pressed cider).

The smell is like that off old really bad malt liquor

Don't have a hydrometer

Oh and I used red star champaign yeast

That sugar/cider/yeast combo should make a decent, if potent, apfelwein. The smell/taste will improve with time. If it still stinks and tastes awful after 6 months, give it another 3. If it's still bad, *then* it's a failure :)

Back