Off Smells - Grainfather Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshi99

Reaction score
Hi,

I ram tearing out what hair I have left over this one. For Christimas I treated myself to a Grainfather Conical fermantor and I am having troubles with my first goees with it. On Brew 1 wiith it Im repeated a NEIPA receipe that I had done before and I thought the brew had gone fantastic. Then when I went to do a yeast dump and then test the gravity that it smelt really off, the closest thing I can compare it to was white wine. This smell got worse as the days went on. I attributed this to the fact that I pitched at 27deg and as it is insulated it took 3 days to ghet down to correct temp and so probably killed my yeast (Lodon Fog Ale 3).

But.....I have just uundertaken the repeat brew and it appears that I have the same issue. I could tell for the first few days (smell from airlock) and whilst I was transferring to pitcher was all fine, but again I now smell white wine.

Previously I just used a standard corboy type plastic fermantor and never had this issue. Below are the additional steps that I have done to adapt to this fermentor that maybe causing an issue?

- I use Nelson Sauvin by at 5g for only 30 mins. Surely not enough to create the white wine smell?
- As the conical is a little heavy to mixup after pitching, I used a santized whisk. Maybe I did not santize this enough. Is this dangerous?
- Am I not sanitizing the whole fermenter enough?
- I did a whirlpool hops for 20 mins, starting at 78 deg and this dropped to 63 deg during. Should I have put the heating element back on to keep it steady?
- Could this mistake be done in the mash and boil phase? I had a 60 min boil but I reduce the wattage on my kettle to make it less viscious. Sometimes the official temp on the kettle drops to 97 deg, although it looks like its boiling to me?

PLEASE HELP :)

Sounds like maybe your getting fusels from pitching temps that are too high. Your fermentation temps are crucial those first 3 to 4 days . When your pitching at 80f you can bet that the fermentation will add roughly 10 degrees. Have you sampled it ?

Sanatized whisk for aerating is fine . I use a big plastic brew spoon to aerate with zero issues.

As for the boil , you dont need a raging boil . A nice rolling boil is good .

Did you clean the fv thoroughly before you used it . From what I gather they have oils from the factory on them.

Thank you very much for your reply. The temperature was my main focus due to the high temp I pitched at on my first go.

When I transferred to the FV and then added the yeast It was recording at 24c/75f. The fermenter itself has a temperature gauge and it quickly got down to 22c/71.6f (within one hour) and was down to target of 20c/68f by 6 hours. Since then it went up 2-3c and then has been on 20c / 68f for the last 3 days.

The recommended temps for the yeast are 18c / 64f - 22c/71.6 my temperatures don’t seem wild.

what do you think?

Latest posts

Back