Off-flavors, possibly from equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I've been detecting an off-flavor in all my lighter brews for the past year probably. The darker beers do good in competitions. I was thinking this was a water profile issue so I've been attacking that. Even with good modifications I still have issues. It may be some sort of infection but it comes about slowly and doesn't seem to overcarbonate the beer (though I am kegging so it may and I wouldn't notice it since I dispense one every couple days). It could also just be residue left inside my chiller/pump setup.

I currently use a home made CFC and I'm worried that it collects residue that I can't see, or that it gets oxidation on it between brews, I actually don't brew as often as I'd like so it sits for a month or more between batches, I try to blow water out of it but I know some gets left.

Since I have an electric brew pot I don't use a hop bag, but instead I use leaf hops and a false bottom on the keg. I recirculate boiling wort through the chiller for the last 10 minutes of the boil, so I doubt infection. I ferment in glass, sanitized with star-san (I leave the star-san in it after I clean it). I've replaced my auto-siphon I use to transfer to kegs and use silicone tubing that I have sterilized in the oven a couple times. I also use silicone tubing on my brew-stand.

At this point I'm tempted to do an extract batch of pale ale on the stove, ice bath and top up with cooled water just to see if I can get a good pale ale. Maybe buy a new bottling bucket and bottle from that.

My other thought is to ditch the CFC and buy a plate chiller, I know it won't oxidize inside between brews like I fear the copper tubing does. I've also thought of changing my system over to a pure gravity system so I don't have to worry about a pump and what could possibly stick in there.

Sorry for the novel but I can't identify the off flavor, and not sure where it could be coming from. I love commercial IPAs but can't seem to replicate them. I know I sent a few pale ales along on the BW 09 swap and I didn't hear much back about them.

I had an off flavor I was chasing for a while...
I suspected equipment. I ended up brewing a batch of water... Added nothing.
I went through the normal brew day setup and cleaning process. I didn't do a full 60 minute mash or boil, but probably did like 20 minutes each. Took samples every time it touched another piece of equipment labeled them and then tasted each after they cooled. In my case it ended up being a stupid water hose. It was one of the white RV hoses put still tasted horrible. In hind site, it was a bit time consuming but really eye opening. I would definitely do it again if I had off flavors I couldn't explain.

Good Luck,

Ed

Interesting idea. I gotta get my rig back together to give it a try. Just wish I had an efficient way to cool that was easy to clean. Maybe a SS immersion chiller and whirlpool the wort.

Latest posts

Back