Off-flavor in New Belgium 1554

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
For some time now, I've tried to get rid of a flavor in my homebrew that seems consistent from batch-to-batch even with changing styles. It's quite possible that it's the "extract twang" or "cardboard" that some guys here talk about, but having never had a chance to submit one of my beers for competition I'm not sure how to describe it, or of the cause. My LBS just got New Belgium beers in bottles, and I've noticed the *same* weird flavor that I've been trying to get rid of in their "1554" beer.

Do any of you guys notice that weird aftertaste? If so, what causes it and how is it avoided.

Thanks!

Thanks WBC, but being new to the game, it's very difficult to quantify what I'm tasting. I was hoping someone who had tried the 1554 would understand what I'm talking about. ;)

I had that taste in all my extract brews. It was pretty annoying. First ag down that I just sampled--the taste is gone.

Must've posted this question in the wrong forum. I can't believe no one else has tried the 1554.

I've only had one bottle of the 1554, and that was like, 15 months ago. I remember liking it and don't recall an off-flavor.

but batches can vary, or they could have changed the grainbill or hop bill since I tried it.

1554 is difficult to put in a category. The grain bill is sorta in the dark lager range. It uses a lager yeast, fermented at ale like temperatures. So it does taste "different", not necessarily "off" or "bad". It's one of my favorite commercial beers. My first attempt at duplicating it was a good beer, though not an accurate clone of the original.

I had an absolutely HORRID six pack of 1554 once. I think it was improperly stored. Here's my thread about the experience. I've since tried a few more (both on tap and in bottles), and they were far better than the ones from that first six pack.

I'm inclined to blame underpitching, oxidation, and/or fermentation temperature for the flavors you're experiencing.

Back