Off flavor and foam problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I kegged my "Munich Malt Bomb" after letting it sit in primary for about 5 weeks. I used a glass carboy for the primary and used filtered water along with about 1/3 RO water for the brewing. I was very exited because the samples I tasted during gravity tests tasted really good. I first kegged it and found out after two days that the corny was leaking at the lid and my gas was all gone - so after two days of that I put a different lid on and refilled my co2 and let it sit. Now that it is kegged and has been on gas for about 2 weeks I pulled a pint and noticed a few things:

The good:
Beer is very clear and color is about a 12 (dark amber to almost brown)
It is pretty well carbonated

The bad:
Very low foam and head retention
The smell and taste are nothing like the samples I tasted during fermentation It has almost a taste like freezer burned food and it is very thin and watery

I've done some reading in the wiki and as best as my taste buds can tell me I have either a problem with oxidation/HSA and/or a problem with MBT. While it was fermenting I had a problem with my chest freezer controller and I pulled the carboy out and let it sit in the open garage for several days before I put a towel over it. I have used my system enough that I don't see how I would have HSA with this batch and not another. I don't know how long a glass carboy would have to be exposed to ambient daylight to get skunked or have an MBT problem. The garage has a side double door with glass that is south facing. The beer is to the side of that door so I don't think it got direct sunlight but I'm sure it gets plenty bright in there. I also have a CF light bulb in there so my doggies can see at night.

Any idea how much time it takes to get a glass carboy full of beer skunked?

Back