Odell IPA clone?? Comments/Concerns??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahler

Reaction score
I found this on the hopville site and was looking for some comments. The Odell IPA is a great beer and I would love to clone it.

I guess my question is, does this look like “proper” clone of this brew??

Type: Extract
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.072 to 1.084)
Final Gravity: 1.020 (1.018 to 1.022)
Color: 10° SRM / 19° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency: 75%
Bitterness: 69.2 IBU / 22 HBU
Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Alcohol: 8.0% ABV / 6% ABW

Malt & Fermentables

9 lbs 8oz Pale Liquid Extract
8oz Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett)
8oz Extra Special Malt (Briess)
8oz Carafoam
8oz Vienna Malt

Hops (pellets)

boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus
boil 45 mins 1.0 Amarillo
boil 30 mins 1.0 Sorachi Ace
boil 15 mins 1.0 Centennial
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade

Yeast

American Ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation

Thanks
Ryan

The 45 and 30 minute hop adds should be moved inside 15 minutes...add more at 60 if you need a higher IBU...IPAs should be heavily loaded with additions very late in the boil...also for an IPA, you need at least 2x the amount of hops you're using, if not more.

I've made good IPAs with under 5oz of hops, so I disagree with heywatchthis about the amount of hops you need. They weren't "hop bomb" IPAs, which IIRC isn't how I'd describe Odell's IPA anyway.

Odell's IPA only has 60 IBUs. You could probably move the Amarillo from 45min to 30 min and be fine. ABV is only 7% also, so you could cut the extract back a bit too.

From Odell:

"Ready to buck convention? We took the traditional IPA, originally shipped from Englad to India in the 1700s, and made it bolder and more flavorful - American style. We've added new varieties of highly aromatic American hops to create a distinctive bitterness profile and an incredible hop character. Hop on, hold tight, and enjoy the ride!"

5 oz of hops won't create an IPA with an incredible hop character...while I don't disagree with you that a decent IPA can be made with fewer hops.

If the op is looking for a solid, hoppy, American style IPA, then more hops are required. If a decent, drinkable 7% bitter beer is what you're looking for, then 5 oz might work.

I'm a huge fan of the Odell IPA too! They just started shipping to MN this summer and I fell in love instantly. Here's an all-grain recipe I've been working with (comments appreciated):

10# Two-row
2# Vienna
1# Crystal 20
0.5# Carapils

1oz Horizon @ 60min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 40min
0.5oz Centennial @ 15min
1oz Simcoe @ 10min
0.5oz Perle @ 0min
Dry Hop: 1oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Columbus, 0.5oz Perle

Wyeast 1007 German Ale

The hops and grains are similar to your recipe with a few substitutions. Don't forget that dry hop addition! The other thing I'm convinced of is that the German Ale yeast makes all the difference. I've been told that's what Odell uses and I like it a lot. Without a hop back and yeast filtration it's tough to get the hop brightness that Odell packs into every bottle, but this recipe has been well received by my friends.

Good call on the dry hopping. Have you tried this recipe?? I havent been able to graduate to All-Grain yet...apartment is too small (NYC). I will try to convert this over to extract and i'll repost what i come up with to get your opinion.

I used to drink this at a restaurant I ran in Az, and since moving to Ny I have daydreams about it.

Thanks for the input, i appreciate it.

I've had success with this recipe, and I keep tweaking it. Don't worry about not having room for all-grain...your grain bill sounds great. I'll be adding some ESB malt to my next batch. I also plan to add a half ounce of cascade to the dry hops and I'm going to move the amarillo from 40 min to 5 min to see how it works as a finishing hop. I'll post in a few months to let you know how it works.

Sweet. I'll be getting all the ingredients together this weekend so i can start this up next week.
Iappreciate the help!

I love the looks of your malt bill and I love this beer! I think when I try to clone this I'll bitter with columbus-about one once and then an ounce of simcoe at twenty and one ounce each of centennial and amarillo at 5 and flameout. Then dryhop with an ounce each of centennial, columbus,amarillo and simcoe. Think I'll put it in beersmith right now!

OK. This is the final recipe. I'll be brewing this over the weekend. Did anyone else try anyting yet??

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Fermentables

8.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Carafoam
0.50 lb Caramalt
0.50 lb Special Roast
0.50 lb Vienna Malt

Hops

1.00 oz Columbus (60 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo (40 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (15 min)
1.00 oz Simcoe (10 min)
0.50 oz Pearle (0 min) Hops
0.50 oz Pearle (Dry Hop @ 5 days)
0.50 oz Cascade (Dry Hop @ 5 days)
0.50 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop @ 5 days)
0.50 oz Columbus (Dry Hop @ 5 days)

Wyeast German Ale Yeast
5 oz priming sugar

Kahler, did you get around to brewing your recipe? I'll be interested to see how you like it.

I've been doing some homework on this clone recipe and I came across the Basic Brewing Radio podcast from October 23, 2008 where they interview the head brewer at Odell Brewing Company:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2008
Scroll down to find the Oct 23 episode. In the middle of their conversation with Odell's brewer they bring up the IPA. The brewer implies they use just perle and chinook in the boil. The flavor and aroma additions must be in the whirlpool and the hop back. Also, next time I brew I'll move the amarillo to later in the boil...like maybe 5 min. And I'll use some ESB malt in the grist. Odell mentioned that they boil for 90 minutes. Depending on how much LP is left in your tank, that may be worth trying too.

Happy brewing!

Hey Kult,
Yes, I did...bottled about a week and a half ago. Going to pop one on monday to check it out- I'll let you know the results. The aroma when going into secondary was good, and the aroma during the bottle process was amazing, i hope it stuck. Color was a little dark, and a bit more bitter than i wanted but i think that will settle down in the bottle.

thanks for the link! i will check it out---after work.

Kahler, I'd be interested to hear your tasting notes.

I re-brewed this beer with Chinook bittering hops at 75min and I moved the Amarillo from the boil to a dry hop addition. It tasted much more like Odell's IPA when I racked it to the keg than my previous batches ever have. Can't wait for it to carbonate! I can tell it's not gonna last long.

Sorry for the delay, i didnt see that you had replied.
Yes, i brewed it. It turned out really good, but not an Odell. Next time i will reduce the Carafoam, and move my hop times around a little. I will try out your recipe as well.

The aroma was great! i thought it came out slightly more bitter than the odell, and had a little too much malt in the background. i want to move the carafoam because it came out extremely "foamy", i will also reduce the priming sugar by .5 oz.

I aso noticed that youre in St. Paul....i might be coming out ther in aug/sept for the fair. Maybe we can swap bottles.

Kahler,
Definitely let me know if you're gonna be in town for the Great Minnesota Get Together. I'd love to trade some beers, or just drink some with you if transporting your beers proves too cumbersome. I'll try and have an Odell IPA clone for you to try. PM me and we can make plans :)

Hey Kult-
Wife and i havent sat down to has out the details yet, but as soon as i know if/when we're coming i will let you know.

Latest posts

Back