Oddities in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintwithchristy

Reaction score
My husband and I have four gallons going at the moment. We recently split a scoby to start gallon number for, and we have something we've never seen. The split off scoby was a little delicate, so it broke into two sheets. They immediately sunk. No biggie. But, when we checked the brew on day 14, we found the original scoby still on the bottom of the jar and a very thin delicate ruched up veil of a scoby on top. It was dry on top, and had actually crawled up the sides of the jar and clung there. There seems to be a lot of yeast action in the volume of liquid. The ph tested at about 3.2, so we tasted it and it tastes fine. It's this what a new scoby looks like when it's formed without an old one to hang onto? Could the ripples be a jostling of the liquid when the shiny is tissue thin? It doesn't seem like I'll be able to transfer this to another jar intact. I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm curious if anyone has an explanation for what is happening with this poor hideous scoby.

20141214_140141.jpg

20141214_140156.jpg

Your top picture looks like what I went through. I thought nothing of it and it soon became mold :(

Back