Odd...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zproducer

Reaction score
I have been brewing for quite a few years. I would not say that I am a pro, but I like to think that I know what I'm doing. I have an American Amber going in the primary at the moment. I brewed on 2/23 with a starting gravity at 1.036. I have not seen the airlock bubble since I put it in the primary. This concerned me, so I popped the top on the fermenter on 2/25 - THERE WAS KRAUSEN ON THE WORT!!! STILL NO BUBBLING IN THE AIRLOCK, so I get out another package of yeast to pitch again today - 2/27 - pop the top on the fermenter and the krausen is gone and the wort is beginning to smell like beer. So I decide to take a hydrometer reading... 1.012. Just were it should be for racking. I have checked the seal on the fermenter and it checks out. So, my question is... Has anyone ever experienced fermentation without a bubble in the airlock? Or is it possible that it fermented out in one night while I was asleep?

I'd say your loosing CO2 somewhere else. You should still be seeing some airlock activity even if fermentation is through. But can I also suggest you let this sit a while before doing anything. You say you brewed on the 23rd. It's only the 27th. WAY too early to be concerned with racking, FG's, etc.

Kilted Brewer said:
I'd say your loosing CO2 somewhere else. You should still be seeing some airlock activity even if fermentation is through. But can I also suggest you let this sit a while before doing anything. You say you brewed on the 23rd. It's only the 27th. WAY too early to be concerned with racking, FG's, etc.

Yeah, I am still letting it sit, but I am going to rack it into a secondary before I bottle as well.

Most of the time it seems that the fermentation faries only come when I'm asleep. So I've started leaving a thimble full of beer to thank them for their work on my brews. They seem to really like stouts and porters...but hate "foo foo fruity" things like orange wits. :D

Actually I rarely see any airlock action on my brews...but if I look carefully at the water in the airlock I can see that they're full of tiny bubbles so I know that something is going on...

and my beers always turn out, so I'm doing something right...

(I think it's the booze bribe myself.)

I had the same thing happen on my Cali Common that I brewed a couple of weeks ago.
The only difference for me was that I used my bottling bucket with the spigot on it, instead of my primary bucket. I had a "rotten eggs" smell for a couple of days after pitching and I opened the lid a few days in and had Krausen on top. I just let it go for an extra week in the fermentor. I'm planing on racking it tonight.

Revvy said:
Actually I rarely see any airlock action on my brews...but if I look carefully at the water in the airlock I can see that they're full of tiny bubbles so I know that something is going on...

I do have little bubbles now that I have looked. Also, I had to add some water to the airlock... So something must be happening!:cross:

I did a hefe in a plastic bucket, hooked up a blowoff tube but never saw a single bubble, so I broke my own rule and cracked the lid after two days, saw a ton of krausen. I just let it sit for 3 weeks due to a combination of laziness and busyness. I cracked it last night, took a gravity reading and it was at 1.010 and all the krausen had fallen so I bottled that sucker. Tasted great at bottling time too.

It seems like every time there's a story about not seeing airlock activity it's always in the ale pail and I'm sure it's an incomplete seal around the lid or grommet that's to blame.

My first brew was like that. It was a red ale and their was no bubbles but there was krausen. I just about pooped my pants thinking that I ruined my first beer, but it turned out fine. There is probably just a leak in the lid. Although since then I have been using the same pale for fermenting and I am getting a lot of bubble action.

-Chris

Back