Odd infection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Yesterday I tested positive for mono caused by the Epstein-barr virus. My question is, about a week into mild symptoms ( and thinking I only had a cold) I took a hydro reading on my two beers. Now I sanitized everything and didn't intentionally breathe into the carboys, is it possible a virus could live in an alcoholic environment like that? The first is a 6.7abv ipa that's 4 weeks old and the other is a 2 week old red at about 4%. I just don't want to give anyone this awful sickness when the beers done.

Thanks everyone

I think that would be an incredible stretch for anyone to contract mono off your beer. The ethyl alcohol in your beer should help to have killed anything that got into it, and even still, EBV can't live outside the body for more than a few hours. And, undoubtedly you sanitized your bottles, this too would help in ensuring no one would have any signs or symptoms even if virus particulate had found some way to weasel its way in. Don't quote me on this, but I honestly think you are good to go.

If you're concerned which it sounds like you are, you can wait until your symptoms subside and then bottle. After about 3 weeks the virus gets over-run and the chances of transmission go down immeasureabley. I had/have the virus and it maintains transmissability for 6 weeks to 18 months after symptoms disappear. Best thing to do is leave it be until you're 100% if you're concerned, but I wouldnt worry too much about it personally.

I almost certain the alcohol and Co2 in the beer would kill any pathogens....I read the following on the SaniSys website.

Alcohol is a natural antiseptic that has been used in the medical field for over 100 years because it kills pathogens in seconds, without water, and evaporates quickly. Alcohol mixed with water kills bacteria and viruses by dissolving proteins and disrupting normal cell activity. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the use of alcohol or alcohol based products in hospitals, home, work, and schools to stop the spread of pathogens. For more information about the CDC's recommendations, please visit their Web site: www.cdc.gov

Thanks everyone. Bottling is some time away anyways and I'll definitely wait until I'm recovered to do it.

Thanks again

Back