Odd fermenter smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Yesterday I just got done dry hopping an ipa and was getting ready to bottle. I use a 7 gallon fermenter for 5 gallons so there is a decent amount of head space. When I opened the fermenter I get almost a a strong alcohol smell. This happened on my last batch, and the beer taste fine. I use a swamp cooler that is always between 66 and 70 degrees. I expected to smell a really strong hop aroma, but instead got this almost citus'y smell. Is this due to excess headspace?

I'm a relatively newer brewer, but one thing I've learned is that aromas created during the fermentation often have nothing to do with the aromas and flavors of the final product.

5 gallons of brew in a 7 gallon primary fermentation vessel sounds good to me, and you're on the right track with trying to control your fermentation temps.

Seriously, fermentation can produce some really strong, and sometimes foul aromas that, in my experience, don't necessarily translate into the finished product.

Since it happened in 2 batches I think it is due to the large head space and co2 build up after vigorous fermentation. Kind if hard to describe a smell. It's definitely alcohol like though, but definitely not fussed alchol.

I think I might know what you mean.

I have a little chest freezer I use as a fermentation chiller. When actively fermenting, there is enough CO2 produced that it not only fills the headspace in my fermenter, it also eventually fills the entire chest freezer.

When I open the lid, the aroma is pretty overpowering.

That aroma has never seemed to affect the finished product, though.

What kind of hops? Certain varieties (often referred to as C-hops - centennial, etc. - but non-C-hops as well) have a VERY citrusy aroma and flavor.

I dry hopped with 2 ounces centennial, which I didn't seem to get that strong hop aroma that I was looking for. The smell definitely has that burn the inside of your nose feel. Not really bad, as I said, just can't put my finger on it.

Back