Octoberfest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat6255

Reaction score
I'm brewing an octoberfest from extract this weekend. The alcohol is only 3.5% and I wanted to up it a little. This is my 3rd brew and I've added brown sugar to a pumpkin kit I brewed and it turned out great. Would brown sugar work with the octoberfest? Or would anyone recommend something else?

Is this a kit? I guess I'd like to see the current recipe. You want to keep things in balance or it will get a little weird.

To answer your question, yes, adding brown sugar will up your ABV. Not sure it is a good addition when it comes to making good beer.

Also, I think brown sugar is very fermentable, so it would likely dry the beer out a bit. Oktoberfests are malty beers.

It is a kit. It's from home brewery.com. I'm at work now and don't have the exact ingredients on me. Would the brown sugar really take away the flavor of the beer that much?

Any sort of sugar addition would add ABV but also dry and thin out the beer. October Fest styles are more about balance and a good malt backbone so IMO you would be better served adding additional DME to the recipe. Keep in ind though you will also need to add hops to keep the recipe balanced or it will be too sweet. One pound of DME will add 6 gravity points to a five gallon batch.

As an aside, many October fests are lagers, did this come with lager yeast and do you have control over your fermentation temperatures to do a lager?

Strat6255 said:
It is a kit. It's from home brewery.com. I'm at work now and don't have the exact ingredients on me. Would the brown sugar really take away the flavor of the beer that much?

I don't think it would take away any flavor, but as duboman said, thinning out an Oktoberfest would be a pretty severe adjustment. The malty backbone is somewhat of a signature of the style. Thinning it out would be akin to only using 1/4 of the necessary hops for an IPA. Will it be beer? Absolutely. Will it be a good example of the style? Not at all. If that is what you choose to do, that is fine.

I certainly encourage you to make beer that YOU like. If you WANT to thin the beer out, that isn't a problem. If you want to stay more to style, but increase ABV, post the recipe when you get home from work and the community can work on adjusting the recipe to get you where you want to be.

Just looking through the BJCP guidelines which state (and again, I'm not saying you have to produce a beer to style for the sake of the style - brew what you want how you want) an Oktoberfest has an ABV range of 4.8-5.7, so you are definitely low at 3.5. Strange recipe.

I decided to not touch it because I want to make an authentic octoberfest. I just know to never use this kit again because of the low abv.

If you have a nearby source where you could get some extra DME and hops, we could probably work something out to retain the character of an Oktoberfest but up the ABV to be within the guidelines for the style. Strange that a kit would be so far out of range.

Also, someone already asked but I didn't see your answer. Oktoberfests are lagers. Do you have lager yeast? If so, are you able to control the temperatures really well? That will be important. If it is "Oktoberfest style" with ale yeast, make sure to ferment on the cool end of the yeast's ideal range. This will get it as lager-like as possible.

Good luck.

are you sure that's right? i would think an octoberfest kit would have more fermentables. how much extract? what is the batch size?

I went to my local brew store and got an extra pound of dme. And some hops to add some alcohol to it.

Back