Octoberfest Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
Anyone planning an Octoberfest party? I 'd like to have one outside if it's not too cold. Any ideas? What types of food, German drinking music, etc. I don't want to be serving baked ziti.

Brats, pulled pork, 7 kegs of beer, 1 keg of apfelwein, 6 hours of German oompa music through a pair of Mackie 450s.

You can get the music from ITunes.

I'm having one this Weekend, w00t!

Oktoberfest
Munich Dunkel
DunkelWeizen
Kolsch

Various Wines (mostly Gewurtztraminer and Reisling)
A few bottles of stuff :D

Homemade Brats, simmered in beer, finished on the grilled, roll optional (made 9 kilos this weekend)
Homemade Mustard
Homemade Sauerkraut
Zweibelkuchen (with Walla-Walla Onions from the Garden)
Men's Bavarian Pretzel recipe
Apple Strudel (with Apples from our tree)

And whatever anybody else brings.

Rottiserie chicken is a big fest staple. And pork knuckle. Fish sandwiches were popular over there but they smell awful - best avoided, I think.

Music wise you have to go oompa, although you can throw in a few modern classics like "alice", "macarena", "country roads" as well.

We usually have potato pancakes, Reuben panini sandwiches, kraut, several different wursts, pretzels, potato salad, apple strudel, apple kugen, lots of mustard, and beer. For the music I went to iTunes, like Ed suggested. I think I downloaded three albums that I run through 2-3 times in total. By the third time the playlist runs, nobody is alert enough to notice...prost! :mug:

Don't forget custom pint beer glasses. :D

I update mine each year with a different color. Soon they'll be collectors items.

Oktoberfest2008Red.jpg

Oktoberfest
Munich Dunkel
DunkelWeizen
Kolsch

A few bottles of stuff :D

Homemade Brats, simmered in beer, finished on the grilled, roll optional (made 9 kilos this weekend)
Homemade Mustard
Homemade Sauerkraut

I'll see you Saturday :D :mug:

Somehow...and most will say I'm nuts, but I think a nice COLD day in Oktober in Colorado...temp in the mid 30's, a light skiff of snow coming down, good food, good beer....I'd be one happy brewer!

Somehow...and most will say I'm nuts, but I think a nice COLD day in Oktober in Colorado...temp in the mid 30's, a light skiff of snow coming down, good food, good beer....I'd be one happy brewer!

+1...I don't know about mid 30s, October definitely should not be warm!

I think I will be serving homemade Weisswurst and bratwurst. Pretzels, sauerkraut, and whatever everyone else is bringing. I will have 10g of Ed's Oktoberfast, 10g Schneider Weiss clone, 5g Apfelwein, and 5g Apfelschorle on tap. I am also trying to find a good maker of Landjaegers to have on hand.

I think I will be serving homemade Weisswurst and bratwurst. Pretzels, sauerkraut, and whatever everyone else is bringing. I will have 10g of Ed's Oktoberfast, 10g Schneider Weiss clone, 5g Apfelwein, and 5g Apfelschorle on tap. I am also trying to find a good maker of Landjaegers to have on hand.

Oscar's in Warrensburg, NY. Hope that helps :mug:

Oh wow, they actually have a website! (Its a small mom's and pop's operation in a small upstate town so that's why I'm surprised):

Oscars Smoked Meats and Cheese Products - specializing in gourmet meat and cheese since 1946.

The landjager is under the sausages menu.

Ed, where do you get those made, and how much are they? That is awesome, I would love to have that on a Maß!

Pint Glasses and Beer Glass Sale - Printed Pint Glass .44 cents!

This is my second year with them. I sent them an Adobe Illustrator file for last year and they kept it on file and updated it for me this year.

I'm paying $232 for 144 glasses (plus UPS shipping). It averages out to around $2.90 per glass after all is said and done. I think the minimum order is 36 glasses.

Pint Glasses and Beer Glass Sale - Printed Pint Glass .44 cents!

This is my second year with them. I sent them an Adobe Illustrator file for last year and they kept it on file and updated it for me this year.

I'm paying $232 for 144 glasses (plus UPS shipping). It averages out to around $2.90 per glass after all is said and done. I think the minimum order is 36 glasses.

Wow thanks for the link man.

Might be a bit of an investment upfront, but $3 per glass is not bad at all.. especially if they're of decent quality. Would be nice to have my own personalized set :p

I've been doing an annual Oktoberfest party since '04. Every year we have commemorative glasses engraved - I'll have to see if I can find some pictures. One of our friends always hits a German butcher and comes with various goodies that I can't spell. Weisswurst, bratwurst, leiberkas, and all manner of other yummy things. We always make sure to plan some beer-themed food as well. Short ribs are always a big hit, as well as brats and sauerkraut.

The guests all bring their own favorite beers, I make a fire in the back yard (even in the rain!) and a good time is always had by all.

The addition of Apfelwein, Oktoberfest lager and apricot wheat on tap should make this years' even better!

-Joe

Hmm 1st annual huh. Quite presumptuous of success. I like that.

Build it and they will come. :D I got the idea from my old neighborhood brewfest which just had their 7th annual party.

At that Brewfest, the Keg cooler/kegerator was inaugurated, was extremely successful, was stolen, was recovered, and now is being fitted with faucet #7 for the Oktoberfest.

Ed - Thanks for that link, now all I have to do is make up the label.

Oh - and get some hot German barmaids.
Brew some awesome beer ( that is the real problem).
Vacation first.

Don't forget custom pint beer glasses. :D

I update mine each year with a different color. Soon they'll be collectors items.

Oktoberfest2008Red.jpg

Where does one acquire custom pint beer glasses? Actual glass pints like I would steal from a bar.. Uh, I mean purchase from their gift shop? :D

Zoebisch said:

Oktoberfest
Munich Dunkel
DunkelWeizen
Kolsch

A few bottles of stuff

Homemade Mustard
Homemade Sauerkraut

Potato salad
I'll see you Saturday :D :mug:

I will be there!!!!:ban: Then I'll return the favor later this fall with my party :ban: serving:
3 kegs of Oktoberfest, 1 porter, 1 fresh hop ale
Homemade Brats - 2 kinds
Sauerbratten (I'm thinking over spaetzle this year)
Sauerkraut - 2 ways
Potato salad
Pretzels
We usally also have a variety of cold cuts/hard sauages and cheeses to snack on. One year I served head cheese and blood sausage which I loved but most people were afraid of.

And it's not my party, but my Oompah band will be playing in Harrisburg at Der Harrisburg Maennenchor on Oct 4th for their Oktoberfest party (tickets required)

Looks good, Ed. We have ours laser etched by a local guy. We have done a different style of glass for each year, which is fun too. I'll have to take a picture of the whole fleet tonight. This is the best I've got atm. It says "Oktoberfish" acoss the top with 2007 at the bottom. In the middle is a tied up sheaf of wheat.

firstbrew20.jpg

I like the laser etching because you don't have to worry about the image wearing off if you dishwash them.

-Joe

Back