OBX Brewing Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmsteve

Reaction score
I'm making a trip, need info on what to pick up, positive/negative experiences, etc...

I had their amber years ago and came home with a growler. Unfortunately, that's all I recall.

I haven't been to OBX Brewing, but you should try and check out Weeping Radish while you're in the area. And if you happen to end up a little north in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area we have some good stuff.

cheers,
Mark

BTW, the Outer Banks are beautiful.

I went there once a few years ago. I remember having their Kölsch and it being decent enough. Had something else too but don't remember what.

I tried to hit Weeping Radish at the time but it was closed.

Good place, good beer and good food. I second Weeping Radish, although it is aways back up on the mainland (about half hour drive from Nags Head), so maybe just buy some of their beer at one of the local stores.

Also, I highly recommend going over to Manteo hitting Full Moon Brewery (www.thefullmooncafe.com). Great food and really good beer.

:off: On a side note, if you have any OBX questions, feel free to PM me. We go there every year.

This is a little OBX hint, if your in the southern islands, there's a little supermarket on Hatteras Island that has the best craft brew selection in the banks

OBX Lemongrass Wheat was a favorite of ours when were down there a couple years ago. We drank a ton of it. Also enjoyed their black pepper wit.

I think you are talking about the outer banks brew station, really good food, good beer. While the brew master is a "west cost brewer" the beer seems to have more of a German style, they brew a good kolsch and their lemon grass wheat is very tasty, that is if you like lemons. They have recently started canning the lemon grass wheat and all the beers are available in growlers. I'm still surprised that they have yet to jump on the hop forward session beer bandwagon, it would be amazing on a hot summer day, the lemon grass wheat is a bit chewy on a hot OBX July afternoon. The beer is brewed on site and they always seem to have some sort of band playing in the evening.

All in all a really cool place, it is my go to spot on my weekend adventures to the OBX.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Chatterbox IPA was tasty, very hop-forward. if you consider 6.5% session beer, there you go.

they were out of the lemon grass wheat.

food was mediocre. but that's not why you're going to a brewery, is it?

they have (paintings of) 99 bottles of beer on the wall

007.jpg

Unfortunately the last time I went was almost a decade ago and my knowledge on beer had no developed enough yet to know if what I was tasting was high quality brew or 3 star decorated piss water. But from what I remember I did enjoy it. I def recall something called the lemon grass wheat.

OBX Brewing Station is very good. I also picked up some cans of the Lemon Grass Wheat.

Check out Trio. Awesome beer bar. Also, check out the Shack Coffee Shop and Beer Garden. Great place with about 10 taps, and a bunch of beers in bottles and cans.

As a past resident of the Outer Banks OBX Brewing is more of a tourist attraction than a grade A brewery. Although I didn't formally judge, the last time I had a tried the beers there I wasn't impressed. It seemed like the beers took too many risks that didn't pay off. For example, the use of Sorachi in the house beer was overbearing and didn't fit with the grain bill and their Porter was too acrid without much to show in body. Of course, the selection there will probably change in the future. Outside of the fair tasting beers the service was excellent and the food was edible but unmemorable. I would suggest going during the day during peak season because the place gets slammed at night.

Another new Brewery in the OBX is called Full Moon Brewery in Manteo. The beer there was delicious comparatively. They've only recently open but they've already won quite a few local awards. I wish I wrote down my tasting notes from there but the Hand Grenade of Antioch stuck out for it's full body and heavy hitting ABV.

Back