Oatmeal Stout help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWKBrewing13

Reaction score
I made an extract oatmeal stout a while ago. The kit itself was old and I let in the keg after I brewed it for a while as well. I finally sampled it (kit sat 6 months to a year and sat in keg for 6 months) and its not great.

Dumping it would be like putting my dog down. So I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how to improve it and make it very drinkable rather than a choke down beer.

I was thinking brewing coffee pouring, dissolving lactose in it, and racking it into a sanitized keg, and repressurize.

If I go this route, How much coffee and lactose should I use ??(I want a good roast/coffee taste without being SUPER powerful and enough lactose to give me that creamy, silky drinkable without feeling like im drinking dark whole milk lol)

I second the coffee route. The other option is vanilla. Or a combination of the two. Chocolate also goes well in a stout. As far as portions take a sample beer from your keg and add some coffee and or whatever else to see what kind of ratio you like. Just be sure you measure EVERYTHING to get the same portions with the full batch.

I understand how to use the lactose. I would dissolve it in the hot coffee.

BUT as far as the coffee. How much is a typical or "standard" amount when added to a batch of beer?

Do people usually brew a pot?
or smaller batch and add instant coffee to concentrate it?

I believe most recipes that have coffee in them call for only about 8 oz of it for a 5 gallon batch. It is of course up to your taste how much to use. I've seen a guy on youtube do it in a french press but you could just as easily do a pot of coffee.

Back