Oatmeal protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyeman

Reaction score
I'm trying to concoct a couple of recipes using some oats, one's a porter and the other, which features more oats, is a golden honey ale. I'm trying to figure out if I should bother with a protein rest in my (all grain) mash or not. I use Beersmith and it tells me to do a protein rest. Is it really necessary or should I just mash as usual and accept the consequences?

I've seen in other threads that people think not, maybe I won't in the Porter to get the most out of the oats and will in the Golden to minimize haze?

A couple questions:
1. What type of oats?
2. How much of your grain bill are the oats?
ok three,
3. What do you want from adding the oats?

A couple questions:
1. What type of oats?
2. How much of your grain bill are the oats?
ok three,
3. What do you want from adding the oats?

Hi

1) They're flaked oats from my LHBS

2) - Golden Ale = 9.6% of grist
- Porter = 1.85% of grist

3) Increase body and smooth out both beers

Is a protein rest going to nullify these properties, if so how do I get that mouthfeel without the haze?
Cheers

These can be mashed without a protein rest or "cereal" mash because they are already modified or gelatainized. Meaning most of the starch has been converted for you.
The biggest concern is with a stuck mash but under 10% you are pretty safe and with 2% I'm not sure if you will get any noticeable difference.
This is a good way to improve mouthfeel with still not having too many long chain sugars so you can get the FG down. This one of my secret ingredients to get more body out of a session ale but still being able to dry it out. If you want flavor you will have to toast the oats.

Let me know your results

These can be mashed without a protein rest or "cereal" mash because they are already modified or gelatainized. Meaning most of the starch has been converted for you.

Hold up there, modification, gelatinization and conversion are three totally separate things. Modification is the break down of the proteins, gelatinization is the break down of the crystalline structure of the starch granule, and conversion is the break down of starch into sugar. Of these three, only gelatinization has been done to flaked oats. The question is on the protein side, and flaked oats aren't modified.

The biggest concern is with a stuck mash but under 10% you are pretty safe and with 2% I'm not sure if you will get any noticeable difference.
This is a good way to improve mouthfeel with still not having too many long chain sugars so you can get the FG down. This one of my secret ingredients to get more body out of a session ale but still being able to dry it out. If you want flavor you will have to toast the oats.

Let me know your results

Thanks almighty!

I'm going to make the Golden Ale without a protein rest
but we will, as always, simply hope for the best

slainte!

Back