Oatmeal percentage in Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So technically it is a dry stout, just with oats instead of Barley. I thought as much but figured that it might differ a smidge. Thanks

You can do all sorts of recipes, but 20% oats is definitely a good start. I sometimes toast the oats in the oven before brewing with them. I also like to add a fair bit of chocolate malt to my stouts (becoming one of my favorite grains lately)

The BJCP guidelines classify oatmeal stout as a variant of sweet stouts as opposed to dry stouts, but mention that the sweetness can vary quite a bit. They usually fall somewhere in between a dry and sweet stout though.

I'd include at least a bit of crystal malt, to keep some sweetness in there. My oatmeal stout uses:

13% flaked oats (toasted)
10% roast barley
10% crystal 80L
5% chocolate malt

Funny that you say that, I love adding Chocolate into my stouts as well. The stout that I currently have on tap only used like 5% Chocolate, but man does it add just that something extra. I like my roasted barley stout, but for that extra roasty flavor that is also interesting the chocolate is there.

The BJCP guidelines classify oatmeal stout as a variant of sweet stouts as opposed to dry stouts, but mention that the sweetness can vary quite a bit. They usually fall somewhere in between a dry and sweet stout though.

I'd include at least a bit of crystal malt, to keep some sweetness in there. My oatmeal stout uses:

13% flaked oats (toasted)
10% roast barley
10% crystal 80L
5% chocolate malt

I agree

Mine is
7.50 lbs. Canadian 2-row
0.50 lbs. American Caramel 40
0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.50 lbs. pale chocolate malt
0.50 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
2.25 lbs. Toasted quick oats
0.75 lbs. Lactose

(well I brewed it yesterday, it is a tweak on my original recipe)

Why the lactose? What yeast are you using? I found that when I switched from the Chico yeast to the Fullers Yeast it made all the difference needed in the mouthfeel and sweetness as the fullers only goes to 1.016 and then stops, where the chico hits 1.012. Nottingham gets low too, which to me thins out the beer.

Back