Have I just made Sweet Apple cider vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimerin

Reaction score
Hi All, A complete novice.
Crushed/pressed and fermented my apples med November 2021 with an airlock in place, checked it a few times, it smelt quite strong. I siphoned it this week and just from the siphon tasted it. It tasted like dry apple cider vinegar but not as intense. I bottled it anyway with a teaspoon of sugar. Have I just made the world's 1st sweet apple cider vinegar?

Hopefully this newbie has done something right.

Many thanks
Shim

Hard to know just what you have from the description. Did you just crush / juice the apples worth no other treatment? If so, it's a wild ferment with whatever yeast and / or bacteria the environment deposited onto the apples skins, which is unknowable by a lay person. If you haven't done anything to stabilize the product, then the sugar you added will probably also ferment so being sweet is a temporary condition. A teaspoon of sugar isn't much but you don't mention what your volume is. It might be a good idea to put your airlock back on or you could have a bottle bomb.

Enjoy whatever your end product is!

Hi,
I crushed & pressed past through a sieve placed in a tub with an airlock. I used yeast, I think it was champagne yeast.
I bottled it into 1 litre bottles with 1 teaspoon of sugar as per the instruction I got.

S

Back