Oaked stout aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboyles123

Reaction score
I recently made an extract batch of an oaked imperial whiskey stout from an Austin kit. Og was 1.087 and I pitched a starter and it fermented just fine (other than blowing off fermenter lid) at 65 deg. Fg of 1.024 was reached and stable for several days (predicted per instructions was 1.020).

Per the instructions, I racked to secondary so I could "dry hop" (ha!) with oak chips and 375 ml of makers mark whiskey. It's been sitting in the carboy for almost 2 weeks now. The generic kit instructions tell me to bottle soon, but I know this beer needs to age for an extended time.

So here is my question: Do I need to let it condition in the carboy, on the oak chips for several months or do I go ahead and take it off the chips, bottle and let it age in the bottles? Is leaving it on the oak chips for months going to adversely affect flavor or help it?

Thanks!

I say taste it if its oaky enough for you package it. If not let it sit. I did an oaked scotch porter the sat on oak for 3 weeks and it was oaky enough for me. First time I brewed it I let it sit for a month and a half and it tasted like a board.

Back