Oak Aging ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
I brewed up a Barleywine and am planning on Oak Aging it when the time comes. I have 4oz of oak chips but I am not sure how much that really is. How much oak have you used or would you recommend for a 5 gal batch? I am hoping someone with some more experience can chime in I was thinking maybe only like 2oz but since I havent done this before I dont know.

I used 1 oz of French oak cubes in a 1.095 BW I brewed last October, IMO it was just right.

After 2 1/2 weeks in the primary (dry hopped after 1 week) I transferred it to a keg with priming sugar and the oak cubes, left it for 6 weeks at 70f before transferring to another keg.

I plan to do the same procedure next time I make this one, or any other oaked brew.

Sounds good my SG is 1.092 and I wasnt planning on dry hopping. I was thinking 3-4 weeks in secondary with 2oz might drop that to 1oz though based on what you said.

The other thing to note is cubes vs. chips, chips have a much higher surface area than cubes. This means more oak flavor for the same weight. I like the cubes, and have heard that the chips have a much more 'in your face' oakiness than the 'softer' cubes. The beer should pick up the 'oakiness' faster with the chips, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Since this beer will age for some time, I'd start off with no more than an ounce and then sample in about 90 days. Any sooner, and the alcohol bite may mask the wood tones.

Are you kegging?

Bottling.

I am not sure I will be able to age tremendously long. I am moving at the end of may so I would need to bottle by then. If it goes in the secondary by may 1 that gives like 3-4 weeks of aging before I would need to bottle. Should I up the oak since the aging time will be short?

clemson55 said:
Sounds good my SG is 1.092 and I wasnt planning on dry hopping. I was thinking 3-4 weeks in secondary with 2oz might drop that to 1oz though based on what you said.

Given that you would probably be ok with 2, or split the difference and use 1.5.

BTW, The French oak cubes I used were "Medium toast" - the range is varied.

Back