O2 and hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astacey1403

Reaction score
Hey every one brewed my second batch of extract this past weekend and had a few questions on adding O2 to the cooled wort and hydrometer readings.

When pouring the cooled wort into the primary and adding top off water [hard pour], is this enough to to add O2 for the yeast. I have avoided shacking the primary because I feel even with clean hands covering the blow off hole and shacking could cause infection. Should I get a small air pump and tubing to do the job? Also in the 2 Recipes I have done none say to boil the top off water before adding to primary hope that dose not hurt anything during fermentation.

I took a sample of the batch for my hydrometer and noticed lots of floating cold brake particles and had an OG of 1.078 with a PA of 10%. The recipe has and estimated OG of 1.045 to 1.055, would the cold brake particles throw my reading off? I don't think it would however I'm am newbie.

If you're using dry yeast, aeration isn't needed according to Danstar. And some Brulosophy exbeeriments have found aeration isn't necessarily needed even for liquid yeast. To be on the safe side, I pour into the fermenter from shoulder height to get some aeration, and attenuation is always good. And it looks really foamy after I pour. It sounds like you're doing about the same thing. If you want to shake the fermenter, you could dip your hands in Star San to prevent infection, but I think your hard pour is enough.

I don't boil my top-off water - it should be good as long as your municipal water supply is disinfected as it should be. I do treat it with a campden tablet to get rid of chlorine/chloramine.

Your high OG reading is probably because of stratification of the water and wort. I stopped taking OG readings for extract batches because it's predictable from the sugars added and total volume. It really can't be wrong as long as you have the right amounts.

Back