O Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chill3488

Reaction score
Heat 5 gals of pressed apple cider no preservatives to 120 degrees

Add 12 oz maple syrup grade A
Add 2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar

bring between 140-160 degrees and hold for 45 mins to kill off any unwanted bac and yeast.

Cool to 80 degrees and pitch yeast

Make sure to aerate must before pitching yeast.

Ferment 12-14 days then rack to secondary for another 14-30.

****At beginning of secondary you need to kill remaining yeast with potassium sorbate(see packet for how much per volume). Give the PS a day to kill the yeast. Then add 3 cans of frozen apple concentrate and top off fermenting jug with regular apple cider****

Keg it and drink in a couple of days.

O.G.~1.078
F.G.~ .995
~12.4% ABV

This came out great but I need to add to this recipe. I forgot to put in the back sweetening part in the secondary. I will post later today.

Just out of curiosity what yeast did you use? I have a batch of apfelwein going and I used 5 gallons apple juice with 2 lbs of lt brown sugar then pitched nottinghams ale yeast. Your recipe sounds good.

Sounds good. I thought Potassium sorbate just stopped yeast from colonizing more, it is vitamin C, used as a preservative. Wine makers use potassium metabisolphite (or sumtin like dat) and sorbate combined to kill yeast, cold crash works too. Can I carb and bottles this as is?

Just made a 1 gallon version.

I had a gallon of local cider in the fridge and was looking for something new. Here goes.

Back