Nylon stocking instead of steeping bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
Due to an oversight, my kit came without the steeping bag, so I guess I am either gonna grab a nylon stocking or a paint strainer bag to use instead, do I have to do anything (wash first, etc.) to either one before I can use it? It's easier (although more embarrassing) for me to get the nylons right now, I'm going to get a neutral pair if I can find them, and I figure I will just rinse them a few times in the sink to make sure that no dye or anything comes off, but do I need to do more than that?

I have never used one before.. but i would think you should wash it with water.. just to get any laundry detergent or smell off of it..

I would assume warm water too, right? Maybe both cold and warm, because I sure wouldn't want to find out that warm water made the color run or some nonsense like that!

I would use REALLY hot water to get it sterile. I don't know if there is residue from making those things, but I wouldn't chance it. I even sterilize the hop bags I buy from the HBS. Maybe it's paranoid, but I've ruined beer from brewing too quick and NOT cleaning enough.

Well, I am back from Duane Reade, got a pair for .34. The directions say to hand wash in warm water and line dry, I agree with you guys though and I am going to boil them and then dry them. I'm not as concerned with sanitation, as they will be steeped into wort which will then be boiled, but I know that there must be dye and whatnot in there, and I want to make sure that none of that stuff is gonna leak out.

Huh, they are 85% nylon and 15% lycra, I wonder if that will matter. I guess I will have to boil them and see.

There's really no need to sanitize the steeping bag unless your going to use it for dry hopping or something. If you're using it for steeping grains, just clean the bag in plain water and use it as you normally would. You're going to boil the wort anyway so any bacteria that might get into your brew from the steeping bag will be killed then.

That's what I think, the only way that would be an issue is if it was sitting in the wort when it cooled, but it is gonna be used for steeping only. For me the bigger concern is dye leeching into the water, and now that it's not 100% nylon I'm not sure what that will do. I think that by boiling it though it will most closely mimic (and I am gonna leave it in while the water heats up) how it is going to act in the actual boil.

eddie said:
There's really no need to sanitize the steeping bag unless your going to use it for dry hopping or something. If you're using it for steeping grains, just clean the bag in plain water and use it as you normally would. You're going to boil the wort anyway so any bacteria that might get into your brew from the steeping bag will be killed then.

Beat me to it. You're going to boil the wort, so the only time to worry about nasties is AFTER the boil, not before.

BTW I use knee-high nylons all the time, for hops. I make SWMBO buy them for me, I got sick of explaining red-faced to the clerk that, no, I'm not a pervert, I need them for brewing.:eek:

Bernie Brewer said:
Beat me to it. You're going to boil the wort, so the only time to worry about nasties is AFTER the boil, not before.

BTW I use knee-high nylons all the time, for hops. I make SWMBO buy them for me, I got sick of explaining red-faced to the clerk that, no, I'm not a pervert, I need them for brewing.:eek:

Need 'em for brewing beer.....sure ya do.... I'm sure they believe that. I just tell 'em I need 'em to visit the bank or convenience store...

Allan

howlinowl said:
Need 'em for brewing beer.....sure ya do.... I'm sure they believe that. I just tell 'em I need 'em to visit the bank or convenience store...

Allan

I just tell them the color matches my eyes and they make me feel pretty.

Ha ha, I just told the woman that I like wearing nylons, and then stone faced her.

Eddie, no I am not boiling my steeping grains, but since steeping is done at relatively high temps I figure that boiling them out (the pantyhose) will clean them up of any dye, detergent, or whatever might be on them, and also let me know that nothing is gonna go haywire at steeping temps.

Heh, i used a cotton tube sock once... The end result was pretty funny, the sock was 3 times as long and looked like.... uh.... sewer materials... And it tasted like Crystal Malt

Ha ha, did you wear it to work the next day. I had to ask my wife last nite which pot she wanted me to use to boil the nylons. She just walked away, didn't even ask what for.

Yeah, should have left them peaking out of my pants pocket as a joke, but also they are the super granny kind so that wouldn't do my reputation any good.

Just to set the record straight, for all future users of nylon stockings, I dropped the suckers in the pot, and then brought it to a boil (I wanted to mimic the steeping process as closely as possible, minus the boil part, that was just to make sure). I boiled the things for 20 minutes, no dye leeched out, no melting, no nuthin. So this will work.

DaveGerard said:
Just to set the record straight, for all future users of nylon stockings, I dropped the suckers in the pot, and then brought it to a boil (I wanted to mimic the steeping process as closely as possible, minus the boil part, that was just to make sure). I boiled the things for 20 minutes, no dye leeched out, no melting, no nuthin. So this will work.

Tried to tell ya......Been using them for hop bags in the boil fora couple years now:)

I'm listening now. I was pretty sure they would work, I just didn't want to toss them in the pot straight out of the package. At .34 a pop, I should run back to Duane Reade and buy out their stock. Plus I wore them out to the ball that evening and just looked fabulous!

These were sandalwood. Here's a related joke:
A rich lady goes out one evening, and leaves her butler James to mind the estate. She has a few wines and comes home a little early in a very good mood. When she gets home, she calls James into the bedroom.
"James, remove my earrings"
"yes maam"
"James, remove my dress"
"yes maam"
"James, remove my stockings"
"yes maam"
"James, if I ever catch you wearing my clothes again you are fired!"

Back