Nuts and Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I know people that have serious allergies to tree nuts. they always ask me whether they need to steer clear of "nut ales" i.e NUt browns. Any advice? I always thought "nut" referred to flavor resulting from teh roasting process. Please advise. any beer is best served without an "EPI-PEN" (epinephrine shot for those not familiar)

Nut brown ales do not have nuts. Your friends are safe.

Of course, I've seen peanut butter beer, and there's a thread about acorn beer now, so you never know what some nut is brewing... ;)

thanks for the reply. I know with microbrews no one knows for sure, but as far as commercial and most brew-pubs is your verdict still the same?

and of course you won't be held liable :)

I would consider anything marketed as a Nut Brown Ale to be safe, unless plastered with a sticker saying "Contains actual nuts!!!!!"

I've had thousands of different beers, but I don't think I've actually seen one with nuts. I've heard about homebrewers making them here (and other places) but never seen one that I can recall.

still not liability :) thanks for the insight. as i started brewing myself I came to the conculsion that ""nut" shiouldn't really be called nut these days. But as the concerned friend and a friend to those who just drink and not know/neccessarily care what they are drinking tell them to steer clear

I've had thousands of different beers, but I don't think I've actually seen one with nuts. I've heard about homebrewers making them here (and other places) but never seen one that I can recall.

(512) Brewery, a relatively new Austin micro, has a great pecan porter which utilizes locally grown pecans. Unfortunately AFAIK they are still only selling kegs to local pubs.

The 'nut' comes from something like Victory malt and is just a product of the roasting process. When real nuts are used, a brewery will proudly say, "Made with organically, grown, free-trade hazelnuts roasted in extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil" or some such sludge.

the shiner "cheer" also had pecans. if they went through that much trouble to put nuts in the beer, the brewer would probably be listing it on the label

Back