Nutriferm advance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Hey guys, we brewed edworts robust porter this past sunday, it is currently at 1.025 down from 1.065 (overshot OG due to new crush) with nottingham. It blew off like crazy on day 2 (5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy) but now the krausen has sunk and with my notty experience that usually means yeast slowdown or drop.

I have Nutriferm advance from northern brewer, is this stuff OK for beer or is it more for wine? It says use at 20-30g per 100L so I believe that to be about 5 grams into my 5.5 gallons. The recipe does have 8 oz malto dextrine, but it should finish considerably lower than .025. Ferm temp is stable at 66*

thanks!, heres a link to the nutriferm Nutriferm Advance : Northern Brewer

I use Fermain K in my starters but usually don't in the beer, wort has most of the nutrients in high quantities for yeast....the exception is high gravity beer, I use nutrients in that.

thanks for the input, im going to do just that and save the stuff for my next RIS or something. I let the hydro sample off gas all night and its at 1.020, im only expecting 1.017 or so FG so im sure itll clean itself up and drop a few more points.

sorry to bring up an old post.

I have a question. to use this stuff, Do I need to boil it or add it into the carboy as is?

I just bought some from NB, and I am at a lost on how to use it for my beer and apple wine.

Do I boil it or is it safe to add it in?

At what time do I add it in. the second or third day? (Beer and apple wine)

I actually havent used it, but I think im going to give it a go on another irish stout that got stuck with the same yeast at 1.020. I think im just going to toss it in without boiling since theres already a fair amount of alcohol in the carboy

I actually havent used it, but I think im going to give it a go on another irish stout that got stuck with the same yeast at 1.020. I think im just going to toss it in without boiling since theres already a fair amount of alcohol in the carboy

I put a small amount (less then a teaspon) in my applewine. I used a very very little bit of vodka to kill the badies. the thing foamed for like 3 minutes. :eek: I was freaking out. It actually sprayed some of my clothes in the closest. A good 6-9 cups of the applewine foamed out. I hope this stuff is still safe to drink, hehehehe.

4 grams of sugar in a teaspon. So I figure the weight would be about the same. I am thinking I put 3-4 grams into it, my bad.

haha wow, I put less than a teaspoon in to see if I could wake this batch up. hopefully I dont get a stout volcano

Back