nut brown ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
The recipe looks like this so far

8# maris otter malt
1# victory malt
3/4# special b
1/2# carapils
1/2# wheat
1/2#crystal 80
1/4# chocolate malt
1/4# crystal 40

2oz fuggels 60m
1oz kent goldings 30m

Yeast:wlp011

Og 1.055-1.062 srm 26.3 ibu 36.5

BU:GU .58-.65

I'm shooting for a really malty sweet nut brown

Caramel, toffee, nutty, biscuity

Suggestions appreciated!

I think that you may end up with a little more bitterness than you might expect out of a "really malty sweet" brown. Maybe cut back a bit on the bittering hops.

I have a pretty low BU:GU ratio. I want it sweet but still balanced out. And American brown ale has a BU:GU ratio of .80 to 1. So I don't think I'm going to heavy on hops at all. The only thing I think might be off is the special b amount having never used it. And I'm thinking I probably don't need the carapils?

Are you trying to stick to BJCP guidelines or just brewing to try something new?

Just brewing for my own drinking pleasure. Its is in the ranges for a brown ale. But I don't know if a nut brown ale has different specifications.

Just my 2 cents, but I would simplify the grain bill, the C40 and C80 can be replaced by some C60, and I would do about 1/2 lb of that, the carapils isn't needed since the brown ale will have enough unfermentables to contribute to mouth feel. The special b IMO isn't really something I would use in a brown ale, wheat malt could stay, I think it wouldn't take away from the taste, and a lb of victory is a bit much, its pretty potent. Here would be my take on a nut brown ale.
8# MO
.75# C60
.5# chocolate malt
.25# victory

mash a little higher (153-154) and you will get less fermentables, and a higher FG.

the hops are fine since they are low AA hops, and that is a classic combo. Try using British grain varieties, so maybe dark crystal malt instead of C60, and a British chocolate malt.

I agree that you need to backdown that bitterness a bit. I'd shoot for around 28-30 if you want a tad bit of hops to balance those malts. You might get a bit to much hop flavor where your at if you want those malts to shine. I like the fuggles / goldings combo but 2oz at 60min is not the way do it.

Ah ok. Sometimes it's tough to give remarks on a recipe when you don't know what it's going to be used for.

I would try to simplify the grain bill a little. You could ditch the victory, carapils and wheat malt. If you want more body and some sweetness, you could try mashing a little higher around 154.

I agree that you need to backdown that bitterness a bit. I'd shoot for around 28-30 if you want a tad bit of hops to balance those malts. You might get a bit to much hop flavor where your at if you want those malts to shine. I like the fuggles / goldings combo but 2oz at 60min is not the way do it.

I have 36 ibus, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference between 30 ibus and 36 ibus
And as far as hop flavor I won't be getting any from 2oz at 60m. Ill get a little bit from the 30m addition. But not much

I've never used victory malt either. But being a roasted malt I can see how a pound could be to much. Ill drop that down to a half pound. I do love kent golding but I'm shooting for a malty beer and wanna get away from the hop taste and aroma in this one, as that's how most my brews turn out. Mashing a little high will give me more body, but not anymore sweetness.

I definitely see what your desired outcome is, but ever since I made a Christmas ale with about 8 different grains, I became weary of using to many different malts. Good luck with your brew BTW.

I differently hear you that I'm not recommending a big hop change but you might notice a bit of a difference between 30 & 40 ibu's when you want a malt taste and the proposed recipe is really close to 40. I only recommended 28-30 ibu's because I just brewed a nut brown and my ibu's were at 30 with a real complex grain bill and its perfect. I couldn't imagine it with any more ibu's. it's all personal preference but its just my advice.

I have 36 ibus, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference between 30 ibus and 36 ibus
And as far as hop flavor I won't be getting any from 2oz at 60m. Ill get a little bit from the 30m addition. But not much

It's your beer. Do whatever you like.

But why ask for input for a malty/sweet beer, then be so dismissive over suggestions that you're going to get more bitterness than one would expect for a sweet brown?

Perhaps you should have framed the question as "do you think I should edit my grain bill?".

Your right I should have. I dismissed this suggestion because lowering the ibus from 36 to 30 wouldn't make a difference. I appreciate the suggestions and will be making a few small changes.

Your right I should have. I dismissed this suggestion because lowering the ibus from 36 to 30 wouldn't make a difference. I appreciate the suggestions and will be making a few small changes.

Not to nitpick, just to discuss - you probably wouldn't notice losing 6 IBUs out of a 70 IBU IPA. 6 IBUs off of a 36 IBU brown is going to be noticeable.

Just look at the math - 6 IBUs is almost 20% of that total. That's enough to be detectible to most palates.

If the goal is to make a balanced brown, hang out at 3 ounces of hops. If the goal is to make a malty/sweet brown, you might reconsider tuning them down a bit.

Everybody's tastes are different with beer so just take what we all are saying as just our personal opinions. The only reason your post interested me is that I just brewed a nut-brown and have been drinking it lately. I used 2oz of Fuggles and 1 oz of Goldings, just as you are suggesting. My Fuggles where 6.3%AA and my Goldings were 6.6%. I added 1oz of Fuggles at 60 minutes which imparted about 15% to my overall IBU's. You are suggesting 2 oz of Fuggles at 60 minutes, which is about 31% IBU's (assuming your AA is the same). Honestly, for most peoples taste, thats pretty bitter for a Nut Brown. I would normally bitter an IPA to around that as I usually shoot for around a 50 / 50 split between my flavor and bitterness ratio in an IPA, with an overall IBU of around 60 - 70. Thats was my only concern for you. I am a self-admitted hop-head so I like really hoppy beers and I hope you are the same way when you state that you are going to add about 31 IBU's in just bitterness to a malt forward beer. I should of clarified it a bit better but please just take it as you want. Good luck and happy brewing!

Everybody's tastes are different with beer so just take what we all are saying as just our personal opinions. The only reason your post interested me is that I just brewed a nut-brown and have been drinking it lately. I used 2oz of Fuggles and 1 oz of Goldings, just as you are suggesting. My Fuggles where 6.3%AA and my Goldings were 6.6%. I added 1oz of Fuggles at 60 minutes which imparted about 15% to my overall IBU's. You are suggesting 2 oz of Fuggles at 60 minutes, which is about 31% IBU's (assuming your AA is the same). Honestly, for most peoples taste, thats pretty bitter for a Nut Brown. I would normally bitter an IPA to around that as I usually shoot for around a 50 / 50 split between my flavor and bitterness ratio in an IPA, with an overall IBU of around 60 - 70. Thats was my only concern for you. I am a self-admitted hop-head so I like really hoppy beers and I hope you are the same way when you state that you are going to add about 31 IBU's in just bitterness to a malt forward beer. I should of clarified it a bit better but please just take it as you want. Good luck and happy brewing!

You and I are on the same page. I don't mean to disparage the OP at all; if he likes hoppier beers, more power to him!

That being said, I agree with you on your take on how the hops are going to play, here.

"Studies have shown that the detection threshold for bitterness is about 5 IBU. And that is for beers in the 10 to 15 IBU range." Ray daniels- designing great beers. Also " use fuggle and golding hops for all additions in milds and English brown ales and target a BU:GU ratio of 0.50 to 0.70 you may wish to include a 0.5 ounce aroma hop addition for these styles." Ray daniels- designing great beers.

"Studies have shown that the detection threshold for bitterness is about 5 IBU. And that is for beers in the 10 to 15 IBU range." Ray daniels- designing great beers. Also " use fuggle and golding hops for all additions in milds and English brown ales and target a BU:GU ratio of 0.50 to 0.70 you may wish to include a 0.5 ounce aroma hop addition for these styles." Ray daniels- designing great beers.

Okay, then. You've made it clear that your mind is made up, which is cool. Your beer. I have nothing left to contribute.

Well if anyone is still interested I did drop the hops down to one ounce of fuggels at 60 and goldings at 30 because of the AAU's of the hops I got. So I guess technically you guys where right about to many ounces?

buzbey said:
Well if anyone is still interested I did drop the hops down to one ounce of fuggels at 60 and goldings at 30 because of the AAU's of the hops I got. So I guess technicality you guys where right about to many ounces?

May I suggest a slice of humble pie with your delicious brown ale? Kidding, but only halfway really. I brewed a brown ale a few weeks ago with all British ingredients, including 1 oz of buttering Fuggles and 0.5 additions at the end. It makes for a delicious malty beer when mashed at about 152-154.

Back