number of 12oz bottles per 5 gallon batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't. That would require more than 5 gallons of liquid. The math just doesn't work.

5 gallons X 128 oz/gal ÷ 12 oz/bottle = 53.3 bottles. Any more than that requires either more than 5 gallons of liquid or less than 12 ounces per bottle.

Yeah I wonder about that also. Those bottling wands seem to leave alot of space after you pull them out. I never filled a beer bottle all the way to the top and measured what it holds if its filled to the top. When they say its a 12oz bottle does that mean its 12 oz if filled completely and you’re not really getting 12 oz in a fill? If you’re leaving that airspace in there and getting 12 oz, then it would really be about a 14oz bottle, right?

Fill a bottle all the way to the top, pour it ito a measuring cup and see what it really holds.

You can’t put 5 gallons into a fermenter and expect to get 5 gallons back out. You will have losses.

I brew 3 gallon batches and I always calculate all my recipes as 3.5 gallons going in to the fermenter. So I actually do get 3 gallons of finished beer. 3 gallons for me almost always ends up being exactly 30 bottles.

When they say its a 12oz bottle does that mean its 12 oz if filled completely and you’re not really getting 12 oz in a fill?
Typical convention is a 12 oz bottle of beer is 12 oz contents. The full to the brim level is something more.

When I was bottling in longnecks, I seem to recall 1/3 to 1/2 way up the neck was around 12 oz of beer in the bottle. Had to allow the bottles to fill fairly close to the top to get the level around there when the wand is withdrawn.

Here's a commercially-bottled 12oz beer. Not the best picture but I'd say it's in the 1/3 to 1/2 way range.
20240115_122429.jpg

Last edited:
Just confirmed 12 oz in bottle at the level of head space following removal of the racking wand.
That is what I have been doing. Fill the bottle all the way to the top, and once you remove the filling cane, it drops the level to where it should be. Carb drop or Sugar and you are good to go.

Latest posts

Back