Nugget SMaSH - hopping schedule recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
Hey, now -

I have a ton to Nugget hops sitting around which I've mainly used for bittering. I'd like to use them up and was planning to do a Nugget/Golden Promise SMaSH IPA....possibly using 1308 or US-05 as my yeast. In past, I've followed a hopping schedule where I did a small bittering charge and then was pretty heavy handed with low alpha hops at whirlpool and in the dry hop. Since these Nuggets are around 13%, and I've not really used them aside from bittering additions, what would you all recommend for a hopping schedule for a moderately hoppy, 5 gallon batch?

Ive never been a big fan of, nor do I see the real benefit for bittering additions throughout the boil. Every once in a while I will if it works best for the beer, but typical I bitter up front and only at 60 mins.

So I would bitter at the start of the boil and then load up the whirlpool and dry hop with more nugget.

I'm not quire certain what "moderately hoppy" means since that seems to be a pretty subjective descriptor. That being said, I'd just do what you would normally do for an IPA. possible example:

0.5 oz FWH
1.0 oz 10 min
1.0 oz 5 min
2 .0 oz whirlpool
2.0 oz DH

It's not right but it's not wrong. I wouldn't worry about them being 13%. If you are then use less or don't use them in the boil after the FWH like this:

0.5 FWH
3 oz Whirlpool
3 oz DH

I just made a Nugget GP SMaSH that is what I would call moderately hoppy. This was my hopping schedule:

1oz @ 60
.5oz @ 10
1oz @ 5
2oz @ flameout
3oz dry hop

It turned out fantastic!! I was way off on gravity, which made it a very sessionable beer. The grain bill was the Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 grain bill which worked fabulously. I thought the Nugget would be super pungent, but was surprised with how balanced, mild, and fruity this beer was. It didn't have the abrasive hop bitterness I thought it might -- just lots of good, juicy, aroma.

Back