NPT --> Tri-Clamp Adapters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, for a steam condenser type setup on an electric brewer, have several NPT - TC adapters. Work great.

I'm a fan of Brew Hardware for the owner's ingenuity and support of the forum, and would look there first. There's also a Brewers Hardware that might have some things as well.

You might consider contacting the manufacturer as well just in case they'd agree to reduce the price on it, can't hurt to try.

Looks like they sell the fittings you need on the Exchilerator website. Looks like you would need a Female npt to Tri for the inlet side and a Male npt to tri on the outlet side. I wonder if the increase price is that they put tri-clamps on all fittings and it includes the clamp and gaskets.

https://www.exchilerator.com/product/stainless-steel-female-tri-clover/
https://www.exchilerator.com/product/stainless-steel-male-tri-clover/
I just did a quick search so double check what I linked is the correct size thread and tri-clamp.

I've used the NPT to TC adapters before (still have some on hand). I've changed as much as possible over to true TC connections on my hardware. The only thing that's not true TC is my plate chiller (one TC adapted for wort out, wort in is still a QD connect).

@Iowa Brewer If you send me what size TC to NPT fittings/adapters you want, I'll look to see if I have them. At this point, pay for shipping (USPS small flat rate should handle it) and I'll just send them. Since I don't have any more use for these.

Yes, for a steam condenser type setup on an electric brewer, have several NPT - TC adapters. Work great.

I'm a fan of Brew Hardware for the owner's ingenuity and support of the forum, and would look there first. There's also a Brewers Hardware that might have some things as well.

You might consider contacting the manufacturer as well just in case they'd agree to reduce the price on it, can't hurt to try.

Great points and advice, tracer bullet. many thanks!

Looks like they sell the fittings you need on the Exchilerator website. Looks like you would need a Female npt to Tri for the inlet side and a Male npt to tri on the outlet side. I wonder if the increase price is that they put tri-clamps on all fittings and it includes the clamp and gaskets.

https://www.exchilerator.com/product/stainless-steel-female-tri-clover/
https://www.exchilerator.com/product/stainless-steel-male-tri-clover/
I just did a quick search so double check what I linked is the correct size thread and tri-clamp.

Hey, thanks,NTexBrewer! I really appreciate it!

I've used the NPT to TC adapters before (still have some on hand). I've changed as much as possible over to true TC connections on my hardware. The only thing that's not true TC is my plate chiller (one TC adapted for wort out, wort in is still a QD connect).

@Iowa Brewer If you send me what size TC to NPT fittings/adapters you want, I'll look to see if I have them. At this point, pay for shipping (USPS small flat rate should handle it) and I'll just send them. Since I don't have any more use for these.

Hey, thanks, Golddiggie, that’s incredibly kind of you! I’m going to do some poking around at options, but I just might take you up on that. Cheers!

I wonder if the increase price is that they put tri-clamps on all fittings and it includes the clamp and gaskets.

Good point. Looks like up to 4 of them. By the time you get a fitting, clamp, gasket, etc. x 4 it can add up. Still feels like a lot but that might be the explanation.

Blichmann could be another source, I use their "quick connector" NPT to hose barb in a few places. Some are set up for small tri-clap fittings that might fit your needs.

I would also contact them and see what comes with the upgrade. I see these in the websites parts section for triclamp. These and a couple 1/2" npt to triclamp adapters gets your price up pretty quick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508-072338_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-072338_Samsung Internet.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210508-072323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-072323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 18
For $224 Stout tanks has a good all stainless steel one.
Counterflow Wort Chiller (Stainless Steel) - 2x THE COOLING CAPACITY!
SKU WC30X1-2-SS-TC
This counterflow wort chiller is one of our most popular home brew items. It will drop your wort temperature quickly and efficiently, every time.
  • Single piece of smooth internal tubing = more sanitary; easier to clean
  • 2x the cooling capacity compared to competitor’s SS chillers
  • 3.83 square feet of cooling surface
  • Inner tubing is ½” diameter x 31’ long; Longer length = Excellent heat transfer = better/faster cooling of your wort
  • Made of 304 stainless steel = great for low oxygen brewing (LODO) and maintaining sanitation
  • Tri Clamp wort connections = more sanitary connections and easier to clean
  • Can be used as an external HERMS coil
  • Works best for home brew systems up to 1 bbl brewing systems
  • 1620498049236.png

Thanks so much for the advice and insights, all!
I got in touch with the folks at Maxx and the list price is true. NTexBrewer was spot on. It's due to several TC and other parts they add on to the TC version. I suppose it makes sense, but dang! I'm surprised at the price jump. But then again, I'm entirely new to the TC world and have a lot to learn.

I'll sure be taking a closer look at the ZChiller and Stout options. Thanks, for those suggestiont!
Happy brewing

Hi Guys,

Thanks for checking out our chiller, we're stoked about our TC Ready to Brew versions gaining traction!

For clarification, the $329.99 version of the Maxx counterflow wort chiller is the "Ready to Brew" version. The "Basic" TC version is available for $219.99 and comes with standard 1/2" male NPT ends.

All of our TC fittings are soldered and we never use adapters for these units.

The "Ready to Brew" Version for $329.99 comes with the following :
  • Wort TC fittings are soldered and provide a true TC connection.
  • 3 x TC clamps
  • 3 x Gaskets
  • 1 x TC thermometer (short)
  • 1 x TC Tee
  • 1 x TC ball valve
This actually provides a savings vs buying the chiller and the parts separately.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have something that's NPT, and you buy and adaptor to go to TC, isn't that basically negating the sanitary benefit of the TC? You'll still need to occasionally dismantle and clean the NPT fittings right? @Bobby_M I feel like you said something along these lines in your fittings video you posted a while ago, but I could be mistaken.

Back