Now that everyone hates me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpine5654

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to introduce myself...

I have become addicted to reading this site. I now
usually spend a couple of hours per day.

I'm a 28 year old from South Eastern Wisconsin. I have
a loving wife and 3 children (4 year old, 3 year old and a
1 year old).

I got interested in wine making about a year ago. My dad
helped me make an apple wine. My dad has been making
wine for the last 8+ years and he's pretty good at it.

I work a lot and with my family situation I haven't had much
time in the last year to make any more than the apple wine.

I am very interested in trying to make some show mead and
maybe get brave and try a extract brew. I am concerned about
bottle bombs with my 3 young children, so I'm trying to learn
as much a possible before I try.

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone
for the information I have gained, I'm hoping it will
turn into a rewarding hobby.

Welcome to the forum. Extract brewing is a great way to get into the hobby, and while bottle bombs are a possibility, they aren't as common as you might think. If you haven't already checked out How To Brew, then do so. I'd recommend picking up a paper copy as it is a useful reference even for more advanced brewers.

I personally don't know much about mead, but there are plenty of mead makers here. Good Luck.

Good to have you around. My suggestion is to grow a thick skin and trust me- you won't need it often. It's just a good thing to have on these here internets...

Welcome to the forum. Extract brewing is a great way to get into the hobby, and while bottle bombs are a possibility, they aren't as common as you might think. If you haven't already checked out How To Brew, then do so. I'd recommend picking up a paper copy as it is a useful reference even for more advanced brewers.

I personally don't know much about mead, but there are plenty of mead makers here. Good Luck.

I have purchased a few books already. Charlie P's Complete Joy of Homebrewing, Home Brewing for Dummies and the Alaskan Bootleggers Bible.

I haven't read Charlie's book yet, I've skimmed Homebrewing for Dummys and I tcompletely read Alaskan Bootleggers Bible. Quite frankly, I'm a little intimidated by Charlie's book.

Hey! It's good to meet another SE Wisconsin brewer. There are quite a few of us. You are right there is alot of info on this site. Now actually brew some beer and you won't be disappointed.

A little more detail about myself. I was at work when I typed the first post.

I work for a medium size printing company, I am a print estimator. I work
a standard 9 -5, but since we have been short an estimator for 3 years,
I usually go back around 7 or 8pm and work a few more hours to catch up.

I am also interested in (other than mead and beer) current political and
economic issues, technology and commodities (Gold / Silver / Oil)

My wife just graduated from college, she has a degree in Elementary
Education. She has been student teaching for the last six months with NO
pay. So, we have been in better financial times than
right now. But, I have to look at the long term picture.

I have three kids, 2 boys and I girl. All of them keep me very busy.

Well thats about all I got right now, any questions just ask

Hey! It's good to meet another SE Wisconsin brewer. There are quite a few of us. You are right there is alot of info on this site. Now actually brew some beer and you won't be disappointed.

Good to meet you. I live in the Waukesha neck of the woods. :mug:

...My wife just graduated from college, she has a degree in Elementary
Education. She has been student teaching for the last six months with NO
pay....

Hang in there. Her job will be rewarding and eventually pay off. My SWMBO has been in education for 20+ years and this year will get a $15K bump in pay.

It's a slow road...but worth it if she sticks to it.

Hang in there. Her job will be rewarding and eventually pay off. My SWMBO has been in education for 20+ years and this year will get a $15K bump in pay.

It's a slow road...but worth it if she sticks to it.

In another year or so she will be going back for her masters. I'm
really hoping that will help us out financially!:)

I am very interested in trying to make some show mead and
maybe get brave and try a extract brew. I am concerned about
bottle bombs with my 3 young children, so I'm trying to learn
as much a possible before I try.

Hey, Alpine. Welcome aboard. I think you should REALLY think about that extract brew to start. Wine is nice, but there's nothing like quaffing a fine homemade ale. As was stated by McKBrew, bottle bombs are rare if you know how to use a hydrometer. If you're really concerned, use PET bottles. If they go, you have wet children.

Hey, Alpine. Welcome aboard. I think you should REALLY think about that extract brew to start. Wine is nice, but there's nothing like quaffing a fine homemade ale. As was stated by McKBrew, bottle bombs are rare if you know how to use a hydrometer. If you're really concerned, use PET bottles. If they go, you have wet children.

What would you suggest for a Guinness Draught extract kit?

Is Guinness Draught a sweet stout?

No it's a dry stout. A member here owns a homebrew shop in Slinger and I suggest to visit that store on Saturday's you might meet somebody(cough me cough). That person would love to help you out. There also is going to a be beginners class soon up there.

No it's a dry stout. A member here owns a homebrew shop in Slinger and I suggest to visit that store on Saturday's you might meet somebody(cough me cough). That person would love to help you out. There also is going to a be beginners class soon up there.

That would be awesome. PM me the detail if you want. I'll see if I can break away from the wife and kids for a little bit.

What would you suggest for a Guinness Draught extract kit?

Can't help you there, I'm an All Grain brewer but I've got a nice Guinness clone carbing in the keezer right now. When, and I do mean WHEN, you start mashing grains, I'll probably have one posted in the recipe thread. In the meantime, BierMuncher has a nice one that you can convert to extract.

Welcome from Racine. Some of the brewers from SE Wisconsin get together once in a while. Would be nice to meet you.

They even let shirt-tail Cheeseheads join in as honorary members. I try to come down a couple of times a year- I've been out with these SE WI guys once for a couple of beers. Very nice guys (except for one of them).

Just kidding! I highly recommend joining them for their next brew day if you can.

Welcome Alpine! I'm in the same boat as you... just joined and check the site 2x daily. It has replaced my car club forum and my daily fix. I'm in northern Illinois but get up to Lake Geneva and Milwaukee every now and then.

Latest posts

Back