Now i'll know when i have a leak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i couldn't find the kegging one about how to tell how much beer you have left....so i thought i'd start a new thread to thank who ever it was that tipped me to this beauty! i'll be able to catch a co2 leak to the first ounce! :D

100_0618.JPG

Do you have a gadget like that to know when it's time to take a leak?

no, i can do that by feel......lol (edit: unlike eating, and balancing my check book....which i need a computer program for! ;))

and as far as carbing goes, i'm sure i'll be able to watch how many oz's it take after time....this thing stays on 24/7 so i just peak at it after every pour.....and i got some turbo cider, i'll keep an eye on it while it's carbing to get a sense of that too.....if i notice it loses a pound overnight though, i'm hitting the kill switch on the kegs and going to find the leak.....

one that stays on 24/7 when plugged into the wall....i wish i could remember who or what thread they told me about it....

but i still have the box, so...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accuteck-S...537903?hash=item5afb70ea6f:g:cmgAAOxygPtS9B7L

edit:going to check my turbo cider, yes, with a hydrometer, see if it's done...we'll see how many ounces it takes to carb....precision, love it.....

edit #2: damn, it's done! pitched the turbo on the 3rd! already at 1.000! damn people trying to stop ME from drinking! :)

Last edited:
Makes sense now. Thanks.

Think I might be needing one of those...

beats a unexpected trip to the welding shop to get a refill! it only cost the price of a swap, so if i catch a leak at the first ounce, i'm winning! and greta would be happy, i'm not wasting co2! lol

well, this morning, i can breath easy....scale says i didn't even lose a 1/2 ounce......!! peace of mind....

i couldn't find the kegging one about how to tell how much beer you have left....so i thought i'd start a new thread to thank who ever it was that tipped me to this beauty! i'll be able to catch a co2 leak to the first ounce! :D

View attachment 669626
Please let us know if your scales still read zero when you eventually take the keg off. I don't think you're supposed to leave weights on a strain gauge long term.

Please let us know if your scales still read zero when you eventually take the keg off. I don't think you're supposed to leave weights on a strain gauge long term.

hmmm, didn't think about that...someone else was doing similar with their kegs in the fridge though...(where i got the idea for this actually)

it's not really a strain gauge, i don't think...resistivity gauge....

edit: i got a good 12 pounds of co2 left in the tank, and at 1oz a day. you're going to have to wait for 6-7 months for a report back....

edit #2: you got me curious, it's been sitting on the scale for 8-9 days now...i put a bag of beans on top, it's still accurate....

Last edited:
hmmm, didn't think about that...someone else was doing similar with their kegs in the fridge though...(where i got the idea for this actually)

it's not really a strain gauge, i don't think...resistivity gauge....

edit: i got a good 12 pounds of co2 left in the tank, and at 1oz a day. you're going to have to wait for 6-7 months for a report back....

edit #2: you got me curious, it's been sitting on the scale for 8-9 days now...i put a bag of beans on top, it's still accurate....
Sounds like it's OK so far. The reason I asked is that I also thought it'd be a good idea to sit the cylinder on a cheap set of bathroom scales so I'd be able to see as it approached the 'tare weight' stamped on the cylinder. I haven't done it yet though.

Sounds like it's OK so far. The reason I asked is that I also thought it'd be a good idea to sit the cylinder on a cheap set of bathroom scales so I'd be able to see as it approached the 'tare weight' stamped on the cylinder. I haven't done it yet though.

i did that but that didn't work as well, could only catch a leak few pounds in...this is a postal scale that stays on as long as it's pluged in, good to the half oz....and 110 pounds......

here it is google to the rescue...check post #33, for the idea, and #40 for the scale i got.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-tell-when-keg-is-getting-empty.525882/

it's been a while and i've carb'd and pushed quite a few kegs...here's some pics...with and without a 1lb bag of split pea on top....but you can see i've got a reg, and my line runs through the gasket, so i'd say still could catch it at an ounce....

100_0625.JPG
100_0626.JPG

and every time i open the door to swap keg the thing is so accurate it changes...i'm just looking for fast changes.....i think i caught a leak already with it, lubed my gas in posts and think i caught it in time!!! (might have only lost 2 oz's instead of 2lb's)

edit: i apologize for the mess, i still need to get my coils brushed on the fridge......

edit #2: so far, pushing 10 12oz glasses a day, and carbing 2 kegs at the same time it goes down 1 ounce a day....i've got 4 kegs carbing now, we'll see if that changes to 1.5oz's....and i'd say a scale rated for 110lb's, a accuracy of 2g's is reasonable.....

Last edited:
Back