Now I know why you have more than one keg on tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
I researched heavily and found many people on these forums liked the beer Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewery. With a couple successful brews under my belt I ordered me up a clone, and made up my 5 gallons. Lets just say I won't have a problem drinking too many of them after a hard days work. Technically it's a brown ale, but it knocks on the door of a porter pretty hard. The chocolate, malty taste of it, with little to no hop flavor make this beer one I may start with but would continue drinking off another keg.

What about you, ever make a beer and then think, holy crap, I have 5 gallons of this stuff!?

Yes, I have 5 gallons of Coffee Bender right now. I used WAY too dark of a roast of coffee and it is pretty intense. I've got a nice IPA on the way soon and I've got a one keg setup.

One keg is nice, two kegs is good, but five kegs is kick butt awesome. Variety rocks.

I like having two taps. I can always disconnect one keg, clean the line, and hook up a different one if I want to. It's not much trouble.

Haha. I have four taps on my kegerator. Four IPA's too on those taps. LOL

Mine changes all of the time but right now it's two different IPAs (Imperial and Double), Wit, Blonde and Soda for my kids.

Yea, about that...

I had 2 taps for a long time, and a party tap for the third "special" keg in the kegerator. Then I got a chest freezer and another party tap. I'm going to put a collar on next term when I get my book money, so it looks like I'll have 7 taps in the near future. I'm already thinking I need to expand my manifold so I can still have 3 kegs carbing while those are serving.

What about you, ever make a beer and then think, holy crap, I have 5 gallons of this stuff!?

Yup, I have an Imperial Blonde right now I just can't stand and an oatmeal stout that I'm not crazy about either. I can't wait for my first all grain to be ready as I'm at an all time low on good inventory in my (very short) brewing career.

Yup, I have 4 taps on my kegerator and love it. Can't tell you how many times I've done the kid at the soda fountain trick and poured all 4 into one glass. Get some pretty interesting combinations that way. Usually it's an American Wheat, a Porter, a Nut Brown and whatever I've been experimenting with. :mug:

My third batch was a Chile Pale Ale brewed w/ a Habanero and a couple of Jalapenos. The beer was great, but not quite what you would call a session beer. It was mostly drank with meals and I definitely plan on making another, but this beer took forever for me to get rid of.

I've currently got four on tap. Two, however, seem bottomless! I've got a pumpkin and a holiday ale that just won 't die! I had to get some easier drinking companions along side or I would be stuck! lol

methinks you guys need bottle fillers. get this stuff out of the keg and forget about it for a while.

I have three taps on my kegerator, and it rocks! It's like being able to have a blond, brunette, and redhead all in one night...

I want a second kegerator and three more taps.. So I can have three or four 'standards' and a couple 'specials'....

Great idea about blending beers right from the taps.. Don't know why I never thought of that.. Then I can not only have a blond, brunette, and redhead, but an auburn, strawberry blond, and light brown haired girl too...
:mug:

tdogg said:
methinks you guys need bottle fillers. get this stuff out of the keg and forget about it for a while.

Funny you mention that! I just got all the parts together to make one!

I posted a thread a few weeks back on this, but I drew a 2oz sample of a hop burst APA I made and exclaimed "HOLY SHIAT, I'VE GOT 10 GALLONS OF THIS"! I went back out to the keezer after dinner and the keg that I tapped was floating in 5 gallons of its former contents. The o-ring on the out post broke when I put the QD on and drained the whole keg.

I'm halfway through the second keg of that one and still struggling to hold back the tears from that loss...

Yea, about that...

I had 2 taps for a long time, and a party tap for the third "special" keg in the kegerator. Then I got a chest freezer and another party tap. I'm going to put a collar on next term when I get my book money, so it looks like I'll have 7 taps in the near future. I'm already thinking I need to expand my manifold so I can still have 3 kegs carbing while those are serving.

Are you really using financial aid to build a keezer? lol

Not exactly, it's GI bill money, so I get it whether I need it or not. I've already bought my books for the year, so it's kind of like my fun money now. Next year will be a bit different I think, as one of my texts alone costs over $300.

I have made a 5 gallon batch and said "Crap I don't like it". Not a bad beer but not for me.

I have made a 12 gallon batch that evaporated, I have never to date seen ANY beer go that fast!

I have made 25 gallons of beer that the jury is still out on. Having 25 gallons of the same beer to deal with at 1 time is a bit over whelming when you have two 1/4 bbls...to keg with lol.

I have recently been re-assessing my brewery and its needs and have a rough idea where I am headed next...the adventure continues.

Back