Novice kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicLife

Reaction score
So im new to kegging. I have a double primary regulator outside of keezer. First is going to a keg and 2nd i want to use to get my homebrews carbed. I know this is prolly a dumb question but if the 1st regulator is set lower can the 2nd be set higher at say 20 psi?

I have tired to force carb my kegged home brews. 30 psi and rolled it for awhile and was gonna set it in my keezer ar 20psi overnight. I have attached pictures of my outside setup and inside....

The 2nd primary regulator goes to the manifold.

Appreciate the assistance!

Attachments

• 20201210_182253.jpg
    20201210_182253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20201210_182709.jpg
    20201210_182709.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Do not roll or shake a keg at 30 psi. Bad juju.
That will likely lead to epic over-carbonation, and then you'll have to start another thread on how to fix that ;)
If you're going to shake, use the "chart pressure" for your beer temperature to hit the desired carbonation level, as found in our favorite carbonation table, knowing that 2.4 volumes of CO2 is about right for most ales.

Otoh, if you want to attempt a "burst carbonation", use 30 psi for 24 hours, then reduce to "chart pressure". It'll take a few days for the carbonation to level out but that'll still be almost two weeks quicker than using chart pressure sans shaking...

Cheers!

Ok thats what i was thinking. The way the keezer is setup, i got it 2nd hand, isnt really setup for that but i just wanted to double check lol

I appreciate the quick response! Im kegging as we speak so that was very helpful. Luckily i have a 2nd tank outside that im using for the initial force carbing, the 30psi then rolling, so ill adjust the keezer for setting it overnight. After its done ill set everything up properly again.

Do not roll or shake a keg at 30 psi. Bad juju.
That will likely lead to epic over-carbonation, and then you'll have to start another thread on how to fix that ;)
If you're going to shake, use the "chart pressure" for your beer temperature to hit the desired carbonation level, as found in our favorite carbonation table, knowing that 2.4 volumes of CO2 is about right for most ales.

Otoh, if you want to attempt a "burst carbonation", use 30 psi for 24 hours, then reduce to "chart pressure". It'll take a few days for the carbonation to level out but that'll still be almost two weeks quicker than using chart pressure sans shaking...

Cheers!

Oh...every video i saw said to do that :s good thing i didnt do it that much yet 😅😶

I didn't want to confuse or complex the carbonation, but since @day_tripper mentioned I normally, since most of my friends and relatives are demanding BEER!, I burst carbonate at 30 psi for 24 hours and then back down to the appropriate level of CO2. Of course, my keg is a chilled at 38F when carbonating.

So i adjusted the primary regulators to the picture here. I cut the co2 going to the 1st keg, store bought kentucky bourbon barrel, and just set it up to condition the next 2 kegs coming off the regulator. I set it at 20 and when i get home ill adjust it down to serving. Does that sound more correct? Lol

The 2 home brew kegs are at room temp currently btw.

I greatly appreciate yalls quick responses!

Attachments

• 20201210_184154.jpg
    20201210_184154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
The picture you attached is two primary regulators, not a primary and a secondary. The nipple in the middle is a pass through. You can set either of them higher than the other.

I never burst carb, always sit and forget.

So i can set that 1st one to serving and the 2nd to the 20psi for carbing the home brews?

The 2nd regulator goes strictly to the manifold and the first only to my Sankey setup.

The picture you attached is two primary regulators, not a primary and a secondary. The nipple in the middle is a pass through. You can set either of them higher than the other.

I never burst carb, always sit and forget.
Thank you for posting this. I was reading the thread thinking the same thing but was not certain enough to post it.

So i can set that 1st one to serving and the 2nd to the 20psi for carbing the home brews?[...]

Ganged primaries are always totally independent wrt dialed pressure. They share the high pressure gas rail, and that's it.
One is never aware of what the other is set to.

As for "20 psi for carbing", I would advise walking before running. Learn about "chart pressure" and "set and forget" carbonation first.
Get a couple of kegs of properly carbed beer under your belt before venturing into accelerated carbonation techniques...

Cheers!

Ganged primaries are always totally independent wrt dialed pressure. They share the high pressure gas rail, and that's it.
One is never aware of what the other is set to.

As for "20 psi for carbing", I would advise walking before running. Learn about "chart pressure" and "set and forget" carbonation first.
Get a couple of kegs of properly carbed beer under your belt before venturing into accelerated carbonation techniques...

Cheers!
You're prolly right 😅

That will likely lead to epic over-carbonation, and then you'll have to start another thread on how to fix that

nah, i shake it all over at 50 psi! perfectly carbd because i do it while my co2 tank is on a cheap scale. been doing it since september, 1.2oz's is perfect, serving next day.... ;) it's been a while since i mentioned how much i love this $27 thing!

So im new to kegging. I have a double primary regulator outside of keezer. First is going to a keg and 2nd i want to use to get my homebrews carbed. I know this is prolly a dumb question but if the 1st regulator is set lower can the 2nd be set higher at say 20 psi?

I have tired to force carb my kegged home brews. 30 psi and rolled it for awhile and was gonna set it in my keezer ar 20psi overnight. I have attached pictures of my outside setup and inside....

The 2nd primary regulator goes to the manifold.

Appreciate the assistance!

Looking at the photo http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/20201210_182253-jpg.709708/

You have same as here
http://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-regulator-taprite-gauge.html
Turn up the CO2 pressure at the keg and control the CO2 psi to each keg by adjusting the knob at dial 2 and 3 (from the left in the picture. In your case use a screwdriver to turn the screw(s) going to the keg(s)).

So i can set that 1st one to serving and the 2nd to the 20psi for carbing the home brews?

The 2nd regulator goes strictly to the manifold and the first only to my Sankey setup.
Looking at your photo the pass thru nipple indeed does as Jddevinn says, look at your bottle Hi pressure gauge 760 at end. The other 2 regulators control full 760 pressure separately.

Back