Nothing but Froff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Pee_Ale

Reaction score
Hi,

My first ever brew is ready to drink, but when i open the tap on my keg all i get is a very fiery froffy flow.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

The brew is an IPA. And i've had to turn the tap slightly to stop a leak so that the tap is pointing down at a 8 o'clock angle instead of 6 o'clock. Not sure if this is causing the problem of not?

Thanks

Unless there is a beer genie floating around here, even the greatest guys here are gonna need more information to help....

What's the temperature? How long has it been at temperature?
What's the CO2 pressure?
How long is your beer hose from keg to tap?
How did you carbonate it?

So you dispense right from that barrel looking thing? With CO2 added to the top. How do you carbonate?

I think we're going to need a complete rundown of your process. How long did you keep it in the fermenting bucket before transferring to the 'keg'?

Has it been sitting in the keg for a few weeks or was it in the fermenter for a few weeks and just transferred?

Did you try to pour immediately after you transferred to the 'keg'?

If you don't add Co2 than i guess you put it in that barrel with to high of a gravity and got to much fermentation in the barrel, but I have never used something like this.

Your "keg" is generally called a pressure barrel in the US. They are not available in the US, so very few Americans know much about them. I used to use one about 20 years ago, so I do know something about them (but not much).
It sounds to me like you transferred the beer from the fermenter to the pressure barrel before fermentation was complete, and fermentation completed in the pressure barrel, causing over carbonation. You should not transfer the beer to the pressure barrel until fermentation is complete (the S.G. remained constant for at least three days. You can then transfer to the pressure barrel and add about 1/2 cup sugar to carbonate the beer.
You have too much carbonation. You may be able to correct this situation by releasing the pressure several times a day for a week or so, especially before pouring a beer.

-a.

Latest posts

Back