nothing but foam :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaju

Reaction score
OK this is like my 9th or 10th keg I have run through my kegerator. I keep my home brew in a 5 gal Korney keg and I buy a half keg of miller light. both are run through one regulator with a split and cut offs to each. I always use 10lbs to draw the beer. Everything has worked fine up until now.
I bought a new regulator from beverage factory. I had the creeping pressure issue with my brand new regulator. It kept creeping up to about 55 lbs. I found another thread on this forum that showed me how to fix that problem and I no longer have that problem.
but now I have the problem of both kegs drawing nothing but foam. the mug will fill completely with foam and no beer. The whole system is in a refrigerator hoses, regulator, co2 tank and kegs are all in the fridge. Oh yea the hoses are 6, long and connect to shanks coming out of the side of the fridge.
I have never had a foam problem until I bought this new regulator. I think the problem may have something to do with this new regulator. but with it being brand new and having to fix it right out of the box I'm ready to chunk it in the garbage can.
please help.

Yup, sounds like it's overcarbed. It may take a few days, but you can bring it back down. Leave it off the gas and keep pulling up on the release valve on the keg every couple hours and eventually the built-up co2 will dissipate.

Yup, sounds like it's overcarbed. It may take a few days, but you can bring it back down. Leave it off the gas and keep pulling up on the release valve on the keg every couple hours and eventually the built-up co2 will dissipate.

+1

the beer overcarbed due to the regulator creeping.
Just need to vent all that extra CO2 for a few days.

Won't try to do the math but you probably have 7 volumes of CO2 in that beer.

I have cut off the gas day before yesterday (monday). I have not been home but I will bleed off some gas when I get home. Ill do as you said and do a little at a time. Ill get back and let you know how it turns out whn I get time.
Thank you for your imput.:mug:

+1 to the above, and I've noticed turbulence from gunk and beerstone build up in the faucets can give you lots of foam as well. If you've not cleaned your faucets yet you may want to take the time to do so.

OK. I turned off the gas to the kegs and I blead off the gas a few times over a 24 hour period. I turned the gas back on set the pressure at 10 lbs and I still have the same problem. NOTHING BUT FAOM !!!! Arrggg!!! I have never had this problem before. OK now Im going to clean the faucets to see if that helps. Is there a certain way or protocal for this? I hope not because Im just going to take them off and try to scrubb as far inside as I can and rinse with water. The reason I say I hope not is because I will not be able to come back and read this forum before do the cleaning job. I let you know tomorrow morning if it works and how the foqm issue is.

OK. I turned off the gas to the kegs and I blead off the gas a few times over a 24 hour period. I turned the gas back on set the pressure at 10 lbs and I still have the same problem.

I underlined what I think the problem is. If it's overcarbed it takes many days of constantly bleeding pressure to get it back to normal. Degassing a keg is much more difficult than you'd imagine, which is one reason I use the set and forget method for carbing. Look at the advice above from homebrewedipa, he suggests several days of releasing pressure every couple of hours.

I underlined what I think the problem is. If it's overcarbed it takes many days of constantly bleeding pressure to get it back to normal. Degassing a keg is much more difficult than you'd imagine, which is one reason I use the set and forget method for carbing. Look at the advice above from homebrewedipa, he suggests several days of releasing pressure every couple of hours.

What he said. And make sure you disconnect everything on the liquid side before cleaning the faucets. I disassemble mine completely to clean them.

Letting the beer reach room temperature should speed up the degassing

Maybe even jamming the release open with a makeshift baloon airlock?

Im back this morning. Things are going in the right direction. This morning I get half a glass of beer instead of a full glass of foam. My five gal korney keg is pouring correctly but the Half keg is still giving me proglems. which suggests to me it was all along over carbonating. It didng take as long for the five gallon to decarb. With the half keg it is getting better but still giving me foam but not as much. Again I will not be home tonight but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I will do some more decarbing on the half keg and let you guys know.
Thank you all for your kind and great support.:mug:

Latest posts

Back