Nothing but foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one keg that seems to put out nothing but foam. I've replaced all the O-rings and double checked it for leaks. It holds pressure fine. I've tried running it a 2 psi and 12 psi and it basically doesn't flow at 2 psi. Keg is full :D. I bottled another keg with no problems at all so it's not the bottling setup. Once I get past all the foam and actually taste the beer it's very good beer. I've burped the keg numerous times thinking it may be over carbed and it's been sitting still for a long time, but still no change. I did get a few good bottles out of it initially but then nothing but foam.
Any ideas from the keggling superminds?
Thanks all.

Did you force carb? What's the beer temp, line length/ diameter? Is it in a keezer without cooled tower?

if the other one is fine, then is there a problem in the keg somewhere... like, is there something obstructing the dip tube and acting like an 'in-line' agitator?

or is there a pin hole in the tubing you are using that is aerating and agitating the brew?

Did you force carb? What's the beer temp, line length/ diameter? Is it in a keezer without cooled tower?

It was forced carbed, like all my kegs. Beer temp is about 45 - 50 degrees. Using a Blichmann Beer Gun so 10' of 3/16" ID tubing. It is not in a keezer it is free standing which is the same as the other keg that I bottled without a problem.

if the other one is fine, then is there a problem in the keg somewhere... like, is there something obstructing the dip tube and acting like an 'in-line' agitator?

I could hook up the Co2 to the OUT port and blow the tube to clear it. Thanks, I'll try that.

EDIT: No obstruction and still foamy.

Different beer styles carbonate at different rates. Sounds like an over carb'd beer.

If it were me I'd:

Remove the beer from the chiller.
Once it reaches room temp, release the gas and pop open the lid.
Dip in a sanitized spoon and give a very (very) gentle stir to agitate.
(Be prepared to cap it quickly if the agitation becomes explosive.)
Let the beer sit until the foam has subsided and repeat.
After 3 or 4 times, you will have relatively flat beer.

Rechill and recarb but pay closer attention...testing every 6 hours or so.

I've had to do this several times with good results.

Different beer styles carbonate at different rates. Sounds like an over carb'd beer.

If it were me I'd:

Remove the beer from the chiller.
Once it reaches room temp, release the gas and pop open the lid.
Dip in a sanitized spoon and give a very (very) gentle stir to agitate.
(Be prepared to cap it quickly if the agitation becomes explosive.)
Let the beer sit until the foam has subsided and repeat.
After 3 or 4 times, you will have relatively flat beer.

Rechill and recarb but pay closer attention...testing every 6 hours or so.

I've had to do this several times with good results.

Thanks BM, it's worth a try.

I had this happen once after cleaning a keg. It turned out the in and the out had two slightly different poppets and I had switched the in and out. After switching the poppets the beer came out fine. Either that or the poppets did not seat properly the first time. Anyway, try swapping the poppets and see if that helps.

I had this happen once after cleaning a keg. It turned out the in and the out had two slightly different poppets and I had switched the in and out. After switching the poppets the beer came out fine. Either that or the poppets did not seat properly the first time. Anyway, try swapping the poppets and see if that helps.

I will do that, thanks.

Back