Nothing but foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowriderdog37

Reaction score
I have a batch of root beer that has been doing fine until last night. I am getting all foam out of the keg and through the whole line resulting in a glass of foam.

When making it, I used 4 gal water, 4ish lbs of sugar, then pitched yeast. After a week, I tapped the keg and regulated it to 10psi after releasing pressure. Carbonation seems good. I had this same problem with a half barrel of Yeungling a few months back, it never went away.

What would cause this? Like I said, I am getting foam through the whole line.

1) how long are your lines?
and
2)is your keg frozen on the inside? The only way to check is to open it up and look inside the keg with a flashlight.

I have 10' lines on mine and the only time I ever get foam like that is when I have a frozen keg or it's over carbed b/c I force carbed it.

If I was you, I'd first check to see if it's frozen and if it's not, release the pressure and set it at a lower psi like said above.

1) how long are your lines?
and
2)is your keg frozen on the inside? The only way to check is to open it up and look inside the keg with a flashlight.

I have 10' lines on mine and the only time I ever get foam like that is when I have a frozen keg or it's over carbed b/c I force carbed it.

If I was you, I'd first check to see if it's frozen and if it's not, release the pressure and set it at a lower psi like said above.

1. I thought I put that in there, I guess not. On the RB, I have 20' of 1/4". It's all inside the kegerator.

2. I will check, I but I don't think so as the kegerator is set to 44*. I'll check it this afternoon.

1. I thought I put that in there, I guess not. On the RB, I have 20' of 1/4". It's all inside the kegerator.

2. I will check, I but I don't think so as the kegerator is set to 44*. I'll check it this afternoon.

Hmm, If your keg isn't frozen and you have 20' lines, your brew would have to be over carbed. That's the only logical explanation I can think of. One thing you can do if it's not frozen is turn the gas off and purge the keg every few hours for a day or so, and then hook back up to the gas at your 10 or 12 psi setting. That may do the trick.

Back