Nothing but foam from draft tower faucet but picnic tap works fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a hell of a time troubleshooting my kegerator. Ever since the first keg I tapped when I bought the kegerator (which was a commercial sanke keg from a local brewery) none of my corny kegs have ever poured well out of the draft tower. But all the picnic taps work just fine. Am I missing something?

You're probably getting warming in the tower itself. Once you get some foam, you get more foam. If it foams on the first pour, pours better a second immediately subsequent pour, but foams again if you wait a while and pour again, that's a good indicator.

You're probably getting warming in the tower itself. Once you get some foam, you get more foam. If it foams on the first pour, pours better a second immediately subsequent pour, but foams again if you wait a while and pour again, that's a good indicator.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. It's definitely all foam, barely any clear beer coming out. Is there any way I can chill down the draft tower other than throwing some ice cubes in there?

A fan to get air circulation in the tower is common and keep it close to the same temp as everything else. Mine is just pretty well insulated (tower is lined the whole way with barely enough room for the lines inside the insulation). I'd definitely insulate the tower, and possibly do both (though in my case there wouldn't be any worthwhile airflow, the insulation alone does a good enough job).

When I first bought my kegerator I lost lots of beer because of foam ...I bought new beer lines instead of the cheap lines that came with it and i also put a cheap computer fan wired up 2 a old power plug and that made a big difference...but i also bought a couple perlick ss flow controll faucets so that on the 1st pour I could just barely let beer pour into the glass until the lines get cold in the tower and the beer starts 2 flow than open the flow up and I am good 2 go ...plus the perlicks are bad ass and a huge upgrade from the cheap stock faucets

Back