Nothing but Foam, Foam, Foam.. Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad-Rabbit

Reaction score
I just kegged my brew for the first time and I'm pouring nothing but foam. I"m going to explain my setup as completely as I can so You all can help me find the reason for the foam.

I have a #5 Co2 Tank going to a two gauge regulator. From a 1/4' barb it then goes to a 18" long (3/8" OD-1/4 ID) Hose to a "T" With two 1/4" Ball Valves & two 1/4' barb for each line going to the 1/4" barb on the keg Disconnects kegs. The Lines going to the "IN" on the kegs from the Co2 are 5' each.

From the "OUT" side on the kegs I have another 5' (3/8" OD-3/16 ID Hose) each coming from the Disconnects going to the taps. The taps are part of a 3" dual tower & the 5' hoses came installed on the tower. The kegs are 5 Gal Cornelius style.

With the Co2 set to 12lbs I'm pouring nothing but foam out the taps. It seems it doesn't really matter what it's set to thought, I also tried with it set to 2lbs and still foam. What is the problem and how do I correct it. :confused:

Please help! I Need beer for out guests tomorrow, not foam.
Thanks for the help in advance.

If you are using 3/8'' hose you need longer lines. 5' will work pretty good for 3/16'' ID line but for 3/8'' you need longer lines or reduce the pressure for serving.

I have 6' of 3/16'' @ 10-12 lbs and great pours.

You have five foot lines from the keg to the taps, correct? If so your lines are too short. Many calculators will say this is OK, but from personal experience many of us use 10' lines. Try that as a minimum.

Question:

How did you carbonate the kegs? Did you just keep it at 12 psi until it was carbbed, or did you raise the pressure higher to carbonate faster? If you did the beer may be overcarbonated, and just reducing the pressure wont fix it. You need to purge the kegs to release the excess pressure. Just changing the regulator won't do it.

The beer shouldn't be over carbbed. I was able to drink some of it and if anything it may be under carbed a bit. And Like I said, it doesn't seem to matter where I set the regulator.

I guess I'll go to the Home Depot tomorrow and but some longer dispensing lines. They sell it in 20' lengths. Should I just buy one and cut it into 10' lengths or buy two and run 20' (3/8'OD-1/4" ID) lines to each? It's cheap enough that it doesn't matter to me either way.

Alright, I'm going to the store for new lines in about 20 minutes. Any last minute advice? or should I just go with the 10' of 3/16ID?

this may seem silly, but just in case... make sure that you bleed pressure from the keg directly (with the little pressure-release valve) when you turn down the pressure at your regulator to really have an effect...

WOW!!! I got the same problem going. It's driving me crazy. Last Fix: opened the keg to purge all gas, re-assembled set reg. to 5psi......wicked foam. WTF? I hope the longer lines cure the crazy-hares problem.

You're using a tower correct? The problem may be with the tower not being cold enough, I've heard of people making mods to their towers to keep the lines colder. I have collar mounted taps on mine, so hopefully someone with a tower can chime in.

I called A local HBS and was told I don't need more then about 5' at 5-6psi. If I'm pouring foam it's because my beer is over carbonated. I Had it on 35psi for one day then turned it back to serve Foam.
He told me to purge all of the pressure from the kegs and leave the Co2 off for a few days. Then try it at 5-6 psi.
I was hoping for a quicker fix, I didn't think there was anyway it could be over carbonated in just a day, but who knows? Not me, that's for sure.

I have the same setup as you wfd146. I used 10ft of Foam-Free Bev Tubing 3/16 inch I.D. from NB. Was a great investment. I have regulator set at 12psi. When I pored my first beer through, I thought it was flat because of the lack of foam/head. But it ended up being perfectly carbonated.

He told me to purge all of the pressure from the kegs and leave the Co2 off for a few days. Then try it at 5-6 psi.

Did he say to leave the system open with an air lock? Maybe you just need to purge a few times a day. I think I will give it a go. I tried a longer line with no good results. I let you know my results. Until then it's PBR

Did he say to leave the system open with an air lock? Maybe you just need to purge a few times a day. I think I will give it a go. I tried a longer line with no good results. I let you know my results. Until then it's PBR

No, Nothing about an air lock. I purged the kegs of all pressure. And the longer lines did nothing except make me spend $15 extra. He said after the carbonation is normal 5' lines would be all that is needed. But now I have 12' so I'll wait and see before I cut them down.
Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

The mystery has been solved... The beer was over carbed due to a faultily Harbor freight regulator. Now that I got rid of the excess Co2 I can pour a beer with only an inch of foam. As the week goes on I'm sure it will only get better. I'm returning my regulator and ordering a Taprite to insure I never deal with this problem again.

The next problem is I stayed up to late to figure it out.
Work = No fun tomorrow

good to hear. You're keezer build has inspired me to tidy mine up or build a different one in our gameroom.

Good to hear your problem is fixed. Fixed mine today. It was the dip tube. The top rolled lip had a small bend in it. Co2 would blow by when the tap was opened and mix with the brew. Sooooo glad its fixed.

Back