Notes Notes Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youlovedp

Reaction score
Hello everybody! First time poster, first time brewer.

I've seen several comments about keeping detailed notes every time you're brewing.
I brewed my first batch a month ago today and my second batch (exact same recipe) nearly 2 weeks ago now.

Thankfully, I kept notes throughout the process both times but I guess I'm not sure if I'm keeping the right kinds of notes.

Any ideas on specific things i should be looking for/ monitoring/ controlling etc that I should be keeping notes on?

Thanks

These days the only notes I take are if I made any corrections to my mash temperature. I assume you are doing extract so that doesn't apply. After that I take first runnings gravity, preboil gravity and Original Gravity. That is all unless I make any adjustments. I rarely do that even if I miss my numbers.

After brew day I record the final gravity and sometimes I will note something about the taste when done.

Notes are so that you can do the same again if you brew it again. If you are doing extract kits it is difficult to not get similar results the second time around. That all changes if you brew all grain.

For me I don't take a ton of notes. Biggest thing i note is if I make a on the fly change. For example I had to sub centinneal with amarillo for one hop additions because I ran out. So I wrote that down just in case it ended up being the best beer ever. Also gravity readings I'll take notes so I can plug into beer Smith later

Welcome! Congratulation on your first brew!

I take notes on a lot of stuff. Brew date, water source, volume, and any adjustments (filtering, additions of gypsum, calcium chloride, etc.). All ingredient measurements, water temps for strike, pH in the mash, mash-out temp, etc. Specific gravity of the first runnings and the end of sparging. Boil volume and gravity. Boil time, hop additon times, volume and gravity at the end of boil. Temperature at pitching and the time. Yeast strain and handling method, (starter notes are taken as well when used). Time for aeration. Tasting notes of the wort. Time of first signs of fermentaion (typcially via air-lock activity). I tend to record the time of day as I go along in additon to using a timer for specific steps.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am just doing extract right now so it appears there aren't too many factors worth noting on account of most of the science being done for me in the extract kit.

When did every feel comfortable enough to move to all grain?

As well as the data everyone else has mentioned, I try to record any fleeting questions I might have, any ideas for equipment or process improvements, things I'd like to research. My memory doesn't work as well as it used to, but my forgettery is still first rate. If I don't write things down immediately, they are just gone.

As far as going all grain, I believe I did 4 extract kits, read a couple of books, and dove in head first.

Here's a pic of a page from my notebook. Some people keep detailed notes in software like Beersmith. I have Beersmith, I just like keeping track during the brew.

It's not a complete set of notes--things that are standard to my process, such as oxygenating the wort before pitching the yeast, I don't write down. But it shows the recipe, time of additions during the boil, water composition and additions, pH of the mash, temp of the mash, pitching temp, info about the starter, and the schedule of fermentation temps (which in this case is a fast fermentation schedule for a lager).

What you want notes to do is, IMO, twofold: one, you're keeping records so that over time you know what's "normal" and what's not. I changed my mill recently, went to a wide gap which produces a much coarser crush than I've used before. The pace of conversion is much slower--but I've written down the gravity at 15 minutes and 30 minutes. Since I have it in my notes from before, when I see it again, I can compare, and then relax.

The second reason is to be able to reproduce something if it turned out really nice. You need to know the process and recipe and the notes will help you do it again.

darthnotes.jpg

Right now i am still doing extract. I start off with the receipe that I am brewing, and then the date. The next thing I have space for is my estimated and actual OG And FG ( even though I have been hearing that with extract the OG will be off) as well as ABV.
If I am steeping grains I write in how I did them. Such as raised temp to 160 degrees then added grains, took off burner. After stepping temp was at 154 degrees. Or if I added the grains and then brought the temp up to 165, took off burner for a total of 30 min. If I make any mistakes or changes, I take note of it. If 8 hav3 a receipe that I add something to after fermentation, I make a not of when and what I added. I also add the date that I bottled.

I figure that if I get in a routine of making the notes now, then when I get into AG, it won’t make it harder to take the notes. ( if that makes since.)

I started the hobby/obsession in November of last year. I will be doing my first 1 gal SMaSH ( Single Malt and Single Hoples) as well as a 1 gal Receipe I cut down from a 5 gal receipe this weekend, as BIAB.

As far as feeling comfortable, that is all based on the individual. I have read that some people have dove straight in, others have waited a few years. So it really depends on how you feel and what chances you are wanting to take, and how involved you want to get.

Ditto to all the things the above posters recommended. Better to take too many notes than not enough.

As to the best time to jump into AG, it's whenever you feel comfortable. It isn't much more complicated, especially of you go partial mash or brew in a bag (BIAB). Mash temps are important and a good thermometer is crucial. The little dial thermometers that come with many beginner brew kits just won't cut it. Luckily, you can get a good, digital thermometer for around $15-20. Here's one that is very accurate and reasonably priced. Water chemistry becomes more important in AG, but it's not hard to ease into. Here is a good primer on the topic.

Going to BIAB only requires a few things beyond what you have already. You can use a paint strainer bag from the hardware store, or buy a good, custom-fitted bag from Wilserbrewer.

I’m using BeerSmith and keep my notes in there. I also have a spreadsheet where I keep fermentation temperature data and I keep track of my water additions in Bru’n water.

During brew day I keep track of volumes...pre boil, post boil, into fermentor and gravities at all those times. I record mash ph and final runnings ph/gravity. Also yeast treatment, oxygen if used and how much. Any issues with the mash or boil. Who I brewed with. Pitching temp and fermentation temp target.

Following brew day I keep track of fermentation temp, dry hopping days, final gravity. Then I try to remember to take some tasting notes both when beer is first served and then again if it seems to change as it ages.

My latest obsession is the temperature tracking during fermentation. I got a couple RC4 data loggers off Amazon and record temp in thermowell and air temp in my fermentation chamber every 15 min for duration of the ferment. I wish there was a way to load pics into BeerSmith as be nice to keep pics of the beer and brew day in the file.

Following brew day I keep track of fermentation temp, dry hopping days, final gravity. Then I try to remember to take some tasting notes both when beer is first served and then again if it seems to change as it ages.

This is interesting to me because I opened a few beers from my first batch(a Pale Ale extract kit) after only being bottled for 9 days- so a little over 3 weeks post brew day- and it tasted watery(correct description? I don't know). It didn't taste bad but it certainly didn't taste like a Pale Ale. Anyway-- I just tried another one last night and was blown away at how much different/better it was than the others I had tried a few days prior. I have seen that the longer the beer conditions in the bottle the more the taste will develop. But not after only a few days???

At the top of the page is Brewing Software. It will take you to Brewer's Friend. Scroll down to More Home Brewing Resources. Select Printable Brew Day Sheets. There are several versions of a basic brew day sheet. I use one for each batch and keep in a binder for reference. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am just doing extract right now so it appears there aren't too many factors worth noting on account of most of the science being done for me in the extract kit.

I started off brewing with mini mash as opposed to all extract. With that I ended up going all grain after 5 batches.

After those 5 brews for mini mash and a couple weeks of reading articles, watching you tubes, reviewing recipes, and of course this forum I was extremely comfortable with going all grain. It was a simple brown ale and I have not looked back since.

Fifth brew, I believe. It was an amber and it screwed up the mash. It was barely drinkable. Next brew was a saison, and was very drinkable. My notes included all the stuff I screwed up.

I have manila envelopes full of old brewing sessions, and a notebook that keep the records from the current year's batches. They start out with the recipe ( I use brewtoad and make a copy from there). Then I add the water treatment from Brunwater. Hand written notes from there detail everything that went on during the brewday, and include daily (or maybe every other day) observations on the fermentation process- temp, activity,etc. Then the SGs when taken, and date cold crashed/gelatin treated. Then bottling day, the FG, and how primed. Finally, tasting notes, any awards or notes from competitions and plans for improvement next time. YES, I'm obsessive.......

I moved on to partial mashes at my 3rd batch, but waited about 18 months, and probably 20-25 batches before moving to AG. And I still will do an occasional extract or PM batch, depending on the recipe. There are recipes that seem to turn out better as a PM than AG (for me it's the NB Caribou Slobber- it's always turned out tastier as an extract batch)

I did 4 extract kits then 4 partial mash (one was a kit) before going all grain. While I did these I was buying the equipment needed for all grain. I would have felt comfortable going all grain after the first 2 or maybe 3rd extract kits. Partial mash is pretty close to doing all grain then adding some extract.

While this is still new to you record everything. Record the ingredients you use, how much of each, method of crush (if applicable). If you are mashing record water source and any alterations made to the water, volume and temperature of strike water prior to doughing in, record temp after doughing in, time and temp prior to adding an infusion, after the infusion, gravity of runnings (if you are batch sparging), issues with sparging, volume and gravity of wort collected after sparging, volume of water you might top-off with.

Then it gets to be like an extract batch. Record time and amount of any additions of extract, sugars, hops (did you record variety and AA%?), yeast nutrients, fruit, botanicals, tea, coffee, chocolate, lions, tigers, bears. Roughly how hot/cold the wort is at pitching, your impression of the yeast you pitch (smack pack inflated poorly/well, starter looked active/inactive), variety of yeast, method of aeration, ambient temperature around the fermenter, days in primary/secondary/tertiary fermentation, date bottled/kegged.

You will learn what things you don't have to record after a few brew sessions, but I think what gets recorded or not recorded depends on the brewer's goals and the brewer's understanding of the process. If a brewer wants to make beer for him or her -self just to get a buzz, then the notes aren't that important. If the brewer wants to enter contests and share recipes, then more information is better.

I don't get too crazy (yet) with brew day notes since I'm doing extract and haven't started water treatment. I'll make note of anything out of the ordinary, like the first batch on a new stove that got scorched. Once I get my sample off to Ward my notes will include water, and probably even more in the notes when I do BIAB. I do keep a spreadsheet of brew history with notes of the results as far as do people like it, is there something I'd like to tweak, specific feedback from others, ABV, etc.

I record basic data points, plus any oddities. I put them all into my brew software. I like Wort app on Android phone.
For all grain, I actually started out doing all grain. I think my 5th or 6th batch was extract. Don't be intimidated by it. I'd strongly recommend biab especially if you're doing less than 5 gallon batches

Dates. Brewed on. Kegged on. Tapped on. Finished on.

The important stuff for me is recipe based. Mash temp, preboil gravity, OG and FG. Grain bill and hop schedule (note AA% for necessary future IBU adjustments). Yeast type, fermentation temp. For lagers I will note temp adjustments, date & results of diacetyl test.

Now that I'm overbuilding starters I'll note yeast generation. Probably could also note estimated cells pitched and pitch temp.

Don't fret too much over your notes. You only need the stuff that helps you. Take pictures.

I could take better tasting notes, but generally I may note changes for the recipe (e.g. Color needs to be redder, Too bitter, More roasty, etc). Sometimes I just work it out in my head.

This made me look at the notes for the first beer I ever made. Didn't screw up too bad. Pitched high but actually fermented in range. Ha! Note taking was sparse after that but at least I knew to control fermentation temps.

A lot of people are saying record your ingredients and timing of additions. I print out my Beersmith pages, so all that is already recorded. I only note if I stray from that.

Any changes of AA of the hops is taken into account when making the recipe. Yeast type is also in the recipe. I will note if I changed the yeast for any reason.

Prior to brew day I record:
  • Date size of starter
  • age of yeast

On brew day I record:
  • Strike Volume and Temp
  • pH
  • Mash temp at start and end (mash in a cooler)
  • First runnings volume and gravity
  • sparge volume and temp (batch sparge)
  • second runnings volume and gravity
  • pre-boil volume and gravity
  • Post boil volume and gravity
  • Any variations in quantity or timing of additions from recipe
After brew day I record
  • Fermentation observations
  • intermediate and final gravity readings
  • dates of dry hops, quantity if varied from recipe
  • dates of fermentation temp changes
  • Kegging date