Not sure whats going on, beer very cloudy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdderJuice

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 2.5 gal brew kit and have had great success with it.

I had been making brews with malt and dextrose that were coming out about 7% and I wanted to up that a little so I made a few batches with an extra can of malt. The first one came out ok (its carbonating now) but the second one is still very cloudy (yellowish, looks like a lot of yeast still suspended in the liquid) after 10 days.

I can figure out why its not settling, should I give it more time? I bottle straight from my fermentation vessle and I don't want to leave the brew on the trub for too long.

UdderJuice said:
Ok, so I have a 2.5 gal brew kit and have had great success with it.

I had been making brews with malt and dextrose that were coming out about 7% and I wanted to up that a little so I made a few batches with an extra can of malt. The first one came out ok (its carbonating now) but the second one is still very cloudy (yellowish, looks like a lot of yeast still suspended in the liquid) after 10 days.

I can figure out why its not settling, should I give it more time? I bottle straight from my fermentation vessle and I don't want to leave the brew on the trub for too long.

Is it a wheat beer? I hink those are supposed to be a little cloudy. If not, try going to a 2-stage process. My first 2-stage batch cleared up nicely...no sediment at all left in the bottles. I'm also thinking that temperature might have a lot to do with letting things settle, but I'm not sure. Like maybe if it's warmer or cooler, the density of the beer might change, and let stuff settle out easier....but like I said, it's just a theory...

NUCC98 said:
Is it a wheat beer? I hink those are supposed to be a little cloudy. If not, try going to a 2-stage process. My first 2-stage batch cleared up nicely...no sediment at all left in the bottles. I'm also thinking that temperature might have a lot to do with letting things settle, but I'm not sure. Like maybe if it's warmer or cooler, the density of the beer might change, and let stuff settle out easier....but like I said, it's just a theory...

OK....just did a little checking around....basic chemistry I should've been more sure of, but as water temperature increases, it decomes less dense. Which, I would think, would allow sediment to settle out easier.

NUCC98 said:
OK....just did a little checking around....basic chemistry I should've been more sure of, but as water temperature increases, it decomes less dense. Which, I would think, would allow sediment to settle out easier.

Hmm interesting, its been cold down here in Florida and we've actually had to run the heat but I don't think the air temperature in the house has really changed from what it used to be.

In answer to your question its a dark, english style beer. Do you think that doubling the malt has caused the yeast to stay active longer?

Back