Not So Newbie Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdfireguy

Reaction score
I have been wanting to write this for some time now. This really is more of a feedback post. But given it's geared more to new brewers, I thought I would post it here. If the Mods feel so inclined, feel free to move it. I won't be offended. Given my 10+ year hiatus, I consider myself a "newbie."

First I want to thank all users of HBT for the countless hours of reading that I have done. All advice has been taken with an ounce of hops, because the fun of homebrewing is experimentation and learning from your mistakes (as well as those of others).

Things I have learned from HBT... Sit back and read. Chances are your question has been asked, your problem or your interest discussed. That little drop down in the middle of the beige bar above that reads "search" is your friend. I'm surprised that I haven't overloaded the system with searches. (Given my post count, you can tell I don't ask many questions - I SEARCH!).

Reading the stickies. I've gone through pretty much every one. There is great information in those posts. Take the time to read them. Sometimes it seems daunting to go through page after page of banter, but the big picture pulls together. Changing the number of posts per page in the User CP options really helped.

I love DIY projects and taking a little bit of time to put together little things found here have taken my brews to a new level. Simple things like O2 aeration, counterflow chillers, and yeast starters were all new to my process as they weren't that common (or at least I didn't know about them when I had started).

The recipes section seems to get some of the least activity, but is a great resource. I have my next two brews planned, but number three and on are going to come from this section. More importantly, if you have tried it, leave some feedback on your results within the thread. Let us know what you did differently (if anything) and how it turned out. I have five or six different brews bookmarked and some haven't seen activity on the thread in 4 years (search is my friend...search is my friend...search is my friend...)

Special credit should also be given to the sponsors of HBT. The vendor list is a great resource for all. Some are more active than others in contributing posts to this forum, but they all make this possible. Want to price shop? Go right down the list and do just that. I have not had a problem with a single order from any of the sponsor vendors. In fact, I have had better communication and orders which were filled quicker with them than any other source.

So here's a big thanks to HBT members :mug: and many more late nights scrolling through posts, old and new. Perhaps some day I can return the favor and contribute something new myself.

Looks like you've got it covered. Good info for noobs. Patience is a virtue here as well. Wade through all the bantor & get the answers,no matter how many pages. It's in there...:mug:

i have been wanting to write this for some time now. This really is more of a feedback post. But given it's geared more to new brewers, i thought i would post it here. If the mods feel so inclined, feel free to move it. I won't be offended. Given my 10+ year hiatus, i consider myself a "newbie."

first i want to thank all users of hbt for the countless hours of reading that i have done. All advice has been taken with an ounce of hops, because the fun of homebrewing is experimentation and learning from your mistakes (as well as those of others).

Things i have learned from hbt... sit back and read. Chances are your question has been asked, your problem or your interest discussed. That little drop down in the middle of the beige bar above that reads "search" is your friend. I'm surprised that i haven't overloaded the system with searches. (given my post count, you can tell i don't ask many questions - i search!).

reading the stickies. I've gone through pretty much every one. There is great information in those posts. Take the time to read them. Sometimes it seems daunting to go through page after page of banter, but the big picture pulls together. Changing the number of posts per page in the user cp options really helped.

I love diy projects and taking a little bit of time to put together little things found here have taken my brews to a new level. Simple things like o2 aeration, counterflow chillers, and yeast starters were all new to my process as they weren't that common (or at least i didn't know about them when i had started).

the recipes section seems to get some of the least activity, but is a great resource. I have my next two brews planned, but number three and on are going to come from this section. More importantly, if you have tried it, leave some feedback on your results within the thread. Let us know what you did differently (if anything) and how it turned out. I have five or six different brews bookmarked and some haven't seen activity on the thread in 4 years (search is my friend...search is my friend...search is my friend...)

special credit should also be given to the sponsors of hbt. the vendor list is a great resource for all. Some are more active than others in contributing posts to this forum, but they all make this possible. Want to price shop? Go right down the list and do just that. I have not had a problem with a single order from any of the sponsor vendors. In fact, i have had better communication and orders which were filled quicker with them than any other source.

So here's a big thanks to hbt members :mug: And many more late nights scrolling through posts, old and new. Perhaps some day i can return the favor and contribute something new myself.

+1

Latest posts

Back