Not reaching Target FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnoliabrew

Reaction score
My first all grain batch came with newbie complications, so I was expecting things to be wrong. Currently, I'm on Day 8 in the secondary with a gravity reading of 1.022 (1.024 when transferred 8days ago).

To note, I missed my target OG of 1.053 (actual came in at 1.046). During the mash I had some temp spikes up to 165 degrees. I have a brand new RIMS set up that I am learning to use.

Is it safe to say fermenting is done? My target FG should 1.013. High temps at mash, cold crash only to 80 degrees at pitch (settled to 70-72 within 12 hours). Any troubleshooting I could do to remedy what is likely going to be an untasty Amber Ale?

let it go another weekish a good way to tell if your beer is done regardless of extract or all grain is to take a hydrometer sample note the gravity then wait 2 days and check it again if it is the same then it would be a safe bet to move it to secondary

just keep monitoring then if it gives you the same reading twice then it is time to package in your method of choice

dont forget to taste your hydrometer sample ;)

if you want to dry it out more you can add more yeast but it kind of defeats the purpose of the secondary fermentation

Thanks! I did sample it at first testing and it wasn't great unfortunately. Batch 1 was certainly a learning experience.

it dose get easier the more you do it my first all grain batch was a pilsner that is still in primary but i had a hard time keeping my cooler up to temp the second batch went much better the recipe is posted on here along with plans for a stout picnic tap which i intend on using it with once it is done fermenting

Back