Not Good News, Beer and Gastric Cancer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
This just came out today. If I am doing the math right, they use the phrase Heavy Beer Drinking, but are really talking about light-moderate beer drinking. 30 gms is about two 5% beers a day.

12oz x .05 ABV = .6oz EtOH

.6oz x 29.6 ml per oz = 17.8 ml EtOH per 12oz 5% ABV beer
17.8 ml x .8gm per ml = 14.25 gm EtOH per 12oz 5% ABV beer

Gastric Cancer Linked to Gene Variant, Heavy Beer Drinking
Roxanne Nelson

April 15, 2011 (Orlando, Florida) — A genetic variant might predispose heavy beer drinkers to a higher risk for gastric cancer, according to the results of a new study.

The authors found that the consumption of 60 g of pure ethanol/alcohol carried a 65% increased risk for noncardia gastric cancer. However, they note that this association was largely confined to beer.

Further analysis showed that drinking 30 g of pure ethanol/alcohol or more a day derived from beer was associated with a 75% increased risk for gastric cancer. Notably, variants in the alcohol dehydrogenase gene cluster (ADH1) greatly exacerbated the risk for gastric malignancy.

The study results were presented here at the American Association for Cancer Research 102nd Annual Meeting, and represent the first time that this association of genetic variants, beer drinking, and gastric cancer has been noted in a European population.

Inconsistent Data

Dr. Eric Duell
Alcohol consumption and the risk for gastric cancer have been evaluated in a number of epidemiologic studies, but the results have been inconsistent. There are a number of reasons for this inconsistency, said lead author Eric Duell, PhD, senior epidemiologist in the Cancer Epidemiology Research Program at the Catalan Institute of Oncology in Barcelona, Spain.

These include wide variations in beverage preferences and consumption patterns across populations, he noted during a press briefing. "Flaws in study design and methodology also might have contributed. There is also known genetic variation in alcohol metabolism within and across populations."

In their large prospective analysis, Dr. Duell and colleagues attempted to newly evaluate the association between alcohol consumption and gastric cancer.

They analyzed data from the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC), a prospective cohort of 521,000 adults 35 to 70 years of age who were recruited from 10 European countries from 1992 to 1998. The authors assessed the type and amount of alcohol consumed and associations by tumor location (cardia, noncardia), histology (diffuse, intestinal), and smoking status.

Beer Drinking Raises the Risk

In addition, they evaluated the possible effect of single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) in ADH1 and its interactions with alcohol consumption in relation to gastric cancer risk in a case–control study (EurGast) nested in the EPIC cohort. Adjustment variables included age, center/country, sex, education, smoking, Helicobacter pylori infection, total energy, and dietary intake of fruits, vegetables, and red and processed meat.

The authors found that, compared with low ethanol consumption at baseline (0.1 to 4.9 g/day), heavy total consumption of alcoholic beverages (≥60 g/day) and beer (≥30 g/day) were statistically significantly associated with a higher risk for gastric cancer (total alcohol hazard ratio

Everything gives us cancer because our bodies are toxic cancer machines. Things that used to be fine, now produce free radicals or whatever they call them.

We have replaced everything natural in our lives with chemicals and radioactive fields

I'm clearly not a doctor, but my humble opinion is that we are all ****ed. So RDWHAHB.

o4_srt, I like the forbes article too... Especially:

Adults over age 65 who drank one to six alcoholic beverages over the course of the week turned out to have a lower risk of dementia than non-drinkers or heavier drinkers, according to a 2003 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Likewise, a 2006 report that appeared in an American Heart Association journal showed that a drink or two a day might be linked to better cognitive function in women.

Now to just get my mother to follow this advice... :D

Northcalais40 said:
Superstistics: a combination of statistics and superstion.

Life is a fatal disease.

Everyone will die, might as well live life to the fullest. No point in living to be 110 if you're miserable.

One day, something will kill me. Odds are it will be my ex... If not, it could be a truck, falling boxes, salting my food, or drinking beer. Either way, who cares? I'll still be dead. I might as well enjoy life while I can.

I have to agree with a few of the above posters, if I spent my life avoiding anything that may be bad for me, I will still end up dead at the end of it all.

My father died at the age of 66, and my grandfather at 62. if my number is pulled that young, why would I spend it not enjoying everything I can??

My grandparents on my mother's side all went beyond 80... My grandfather was 89 when he passed... My father's mother died when he was young, but his father lived into his 70's (I believe, we weren't very close)...

So, if I have that to base my span upon, I'll be around into my 70's or beyond... Gives me another 30+ years on this dirt-ball... I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible.

I do agree that is we didn't do anything that was supposedly 'bad' for us, we'd be leading boring lives. Not even sure if you could call it living. Besides, there's enough things in the environment, or beyond our control, that are more likely to kill us. Hell, you could get hit by a blue ice chunk tomorrow and drop dead on the spot.

Back